problems with USB ports

Amer 22:40 23 Feb 08

Hi

I posted a question earlier today about my printer freezing the computer as soon as I put it on. Similar problems now with digital camera and ipod (all plugged into different USB ports on front and back of computer). So it seems most of my USB ports are playing up. I think this was triggerred last week by a non responsive USB memory stick I used. Didn't realise it would be abigger problem at the time.

How do I 'reset' the USB ports as it were. Have the drivers become corrupt? Do I reinstall them? Not sure if I am talking sense!

Any help appreciated

Amer

Technotiger 23:05 23 Feb 08

Disconnect all USB peripherals and then go into Devices, expand the USB section and Delete ALL the USB ports. Then shut-down, wait 20 seconds then re-start your computer - all the USB ports will be automatically re-installed. Re-connect your peripherals and you should see the usual "found Device - etc" for each of your attached peripherals.

Technotiger 23:09 23 Feb 08

Just in case you are not sure ...

My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager

Amer 23:25 23 Feb 08

Your remedy sounds really scary to me as someone who is not so techo confident. 'Delete all USB ports'. I will try your suggestion in the morning when I am feeling braver!

Amer

Amer 23:27 23 Feb 08

By 'delete', do you ean uninstall, when I go into device manager and look at the USB section, and right click, I have an uninstall option, is taht what I do?

Amer

Technotiger 08:39 24 Feb 08

Yes, sorry - I meant to say Un-install.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 24 Feb 08

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

Amer 11:50 24 Feb 08

Hi

Uninstalled the USB ports as advised, they all rebooted fine, but alas printer on, and it all freezes again. Could this be a power supply issue??? Is it worth me getting a powered USB hub type device and plugging printer through that? Might it make a difference

Totally-braindead 12:01 24 Feb 08

You say it does this with other devices as well.

What I would do is remove the leads to all the USB devices printer camera etc then plug them in one at a time and see what happens.

Amer 12:11 24 Feb 08

Yesterday, the ipod and camera were freezing the machine as well, but since reinstalling all the USB ports, they are now fine, just printer playing silly buggers regardless of which port I plug it into. Have also tried new USB lead to elimiate that.

Will try your suggestion and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Amer

Pamy 12:39 24 Feb 08

"Is it worth me getting a powered USB hub type device and plugging printer through that? Might it make a difference" Do you have the printer manual and what does that advise?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…