problems in upgrading celeron processor

vin 13:49 06 Mar 06

At present i have an Elite P6BAT-A+ mother board and a celeron 500Mhz processor. the system is 6 yrs old but works ok. I have bought a 800Mhz processor which is in working order as it work in another M/c ok.
When i swap the processors over the M/c fails to boot up and the screen has no signal. I have changed the graphics card from ATI Rage fury the one from the other m/c but still same problem .
Can some one help.
Running Win XP. and 512 Mb ram
Can some one help?

johndrew 13:57 06 Mar 06

Might be a daft question, but have you checked click here to ensure your board will support the processor?

Stuartli 14:08 06 Mar 06

I used to have an Elite P6BXT-A+ mobo (the first to feature both Slot1 and Socket 370 capability).

IIRC the Bios had to be upgraded to handle the faster CPUs which followed its introduction and/or could not be used with them.

A Bios link for Elite mobos can be found at:

click here

I did once buy a Socket 370 Celeron III Converter Slocket but unfortunately it doesn't work with the Pentium equivalents.

The Elite archive for motherboard downloads can be found at:

click here

Stuartli 14:10 06 Mar 06

The Elite, despite its low cost at the time (1999), proved the most stable and reliable motherboard I've ever had; its C-Media 8738 onboard multi-channel sound chipset also proved remarkably good, even more so when you are aware you can buy a PCI version for around £5 to £10 (C-media also offers even better chipsets now).

keef66 14:27 06 Mar 06

the manual for you mobo is available from click here, as is a lot of other support / download info.

The CPU support page suggests it will take PIII Celerons from 333-733 mhz with a 66mhz memory bus, and the 800mhz Celeron at 100mhz memory bus.

You may need to change settings in bios to get it to recognise the new processor.

You might need to update the bios.

Stuartli 15:10 06 Mar 06

The main point is NOT to try and use a Pentium Socket 370 CPU with the motherboard (my board would take a Pentium, but only using the Slot1 socket).

Intel's guidance on Celeron processors can be found at:

click here

which includes PPGA and FC-PGA versions.

keef66 15:28 06 Mar 06

Looking at the intel link above I notice the drop in core voltage from 2.0v for the 500mhz Celeron to 1.75v for the 800mhz. Also the change in package type.

Stuartli 16:04 06 Mar 06

You are welcome to the Converter Slocket I mentioned - just provide your name and address via the yellow envelope.

The one problem is that you just may require six jumpers for your particular new CPU with it and it only came with three...:-(

I tried everywhere to get three more without success (the jumpers are about half the size of those used, for instance, on a hard drive or optical drive).

Even the firm I bought it from (US based) say it only comes with three jumpers and they couldn't get hold of any more.

Stuartli 16:11 06 Mar 06

My board's Bios automatically set the CPU parameters.

keef66 11:52 07 Mar 06

thanks for the e-mail, but better to post here so everyone can help. I wasn't suggesting changing the core voltage, just suggesting the new processor might not be compatible with the mobo. Stuartli's post suggests it would automatically detect / adjust.
For the benefit of others. Vin tried resetting the core voltage, but ended up with a pc which won't boot. I suggested removing the cmos battery and / or looking for a jumper on the mobo to reset the bios.

Keef

Stuartli 13:02 07 Mar 06

The idea of the Coverter Slocket, apart from allowing later CPUs to be used, is that the correct CPU voltage is also made available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…