Problems with updating Windows XP

MJF60 14:10 19 Feb 04

I'm running Windows XP service pack 1. I have updated my virus checker and scanned the system and it comes up clean. I installed this morning some security updates (16 of them) and when it had finished, it prompted me to restart. When I restarted, I got a blue screen saying something like "an error has been detected..." with the file videoprt.sys trying to write to read only memory.

I restarted in safe mode and looked at the error log. It said, "The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error."

If I use System Restore to go back to before the update installation, it starts again just fine, but the computer is vulnerable again.

If anyone has any idea what might cause this, or how to correct it, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

spikeychris 15:07 19 Feb 04

Repair XP.

click here

MJF60 15:22 19 Feb 04

If I do that, am I going to need to reinstall all the updates, or does the repair thing not overwrite updates? Also, the other problem I have is that my cd writer doesn't work, so I can't back anything up. I don't really want to risk losing all my files which is likely to happen if I reinstall XP or repair it. I did search Google for the error message and it came up with loads of responses, all saying different things. That's why I wanted to get a person to help.

Put another way, I would like to think of the repair option as a final resort. I also can't understand why the update would break it, when it works fine without it.

anon1 15:29 19 Feb 04

just sue system restore and do the updates one by one with a restart in between. A pain I know but even microsoft get it wrong at times. As a matter of interest did you disable your antivirus software before adding updates?

MJF60 15:34 19 Feb 04

I didn't disable the antivirus software, but it gave no indication through the process that this was a problem. The updates one by one is a possibility. The only thing that worries me is that one of the Google responses suggested that it could be because the computer has been hacked, so I was hoping to keep it offline if at all possible until the updates have been done.

Thanks for your help. I'll see what the individual updates does.

spikeychris 18:28 19 Feb 04

Quote " don't really want to risk losing all my files which is likely to happen if I reinstall XP or repair it."

If you r-einstall then yeah you will loose your setup but a repair will not touch your system. You will however have to reapply your updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…