Problems updating graphics card - help please

EFC1878 14:04 15 Jan 09

I have received a new graphics and - with help - tried to install it butr have encountered problems resulting in recognising the drivers resulting in temporarily reverting back to the old card.

The old graphics card was a nVIDIA 4 GeForce MX 440 128MB

The new card is a nVIDIA GeForce 5200 256mb

I run Windows XP.

My motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X-LA

The card was inserted in safe mode and all seemed fine i.e. the internet worked fine etc. Then when I re-booted I got the message referring to new hardware found followed in due course by an error messgae saying thta the drviers could not be updated. I also had a message saying that certain files were misisng - these related to NV4 files and the update reference for the last 440MX drivers.

The picture was extremely jumpy when scrolling web pages.

All nVIDIA 4 files were located and deleted but again on reboot the same message appeared. the files were then delted and the old card reinsetered. Despite there apparently being no files or drivers the card was recgonised.

Could it be that the driver files are safed somewher eon the pc? If so how can I get rid of these so that they do not override new drviers for the new graphics card?

Another card - an ATI Radeon - was inserted and the dsame thing happended

I hope that this makes some snense as I am confused!

Terry Brown 14:22 15 Jan 09

Try starting your machine in Safe Mode, selecting the option VGA.
This will restart you machine in very low resolution (no drivers installed) then install the software for the new Graphics card.

This will normally clear the problem.
Terry

Jim_F 14:26 15 Jan 09

I use driversweeper:
click here

If you have a Nvidia chipset on your main board make sure you only select the option to remove GFX drivers. Also make sure you remove any ATI drivers.

The original advice for GFX driver updates was to uninstall drivers with the old card in situ and reboot so that you revert back to the Windows default (VGA). If available choose the option to remove drivers completely.

Both ATI and NVidia have tended to unpack directories into your root drive usually C:\ and don't always delete these once install is done.

The installs themselves are kept in the directory \Windows\Inf\ in text files named OEMn.inf where n is just a sequential number. If the install keeps doing the same dumb thing it could be one of these.

EFC1878 15:54 15 Jan 09

Thanks for the tips which will be investigated

EFC1878 16:01 15 Jan 09

Thanks for the advice and tips which will be looked into

EFC1878 16:02 15 Jan 09

Apologies for the multiple entries - finger clicking trouble....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…