Problems uninstalling NIS 2005

Gizmocat 07:41 28 May 06

My daughter has suddenly encountered a problem with signing in to MSN Messenger 7.5
After running through most steps of troubleshooter, was left with conflict issues with NIS to be possibly a cause.
Tried to launch NIS 2005 - unable due to problems with Symantec Intergrator.
Per advice found via net tried using SymNRT.exe but got error message 'the version of Norton Removal Tool has expired' and a link to connect to Symantec for assistance.
Problem is I have been unable to access Symantec through any link I have tried - just keep getting 'Page Cannot be Displayed'
I have uninstalled Messenger and Live Update using Add/Remove Programmes.(this wouldnt uninstall NIS 2005 hence my efforts via other methods!)
A further possible unconnected thing that has appeared while all this is going on is when I start up I get 2 Speedtouch icons in my tray??? I close one down, but next time I start up 2 boxes appear on my toolbar.

john-232317 07:56 28 May 06

Norton is a pain try removing with this link click here

thms 10:57 28 May 06

Go to control panel/administrative tools/services
disable all symantec/nis services.

Go to add/remove and you should be able to uninstall nis2005.

Go to run type msconfig select statup untick speedtouch. Reboot.

Gizmocat 18:27 30 May 06

Thanks dadyassa - that seems to have uninstalled NIS 2005 and I have reinstalled MSN Messenger - one happy 14 year old(for a while!)

Would you recommend that I leave NIS well alone now? If so I need to have some virus protection and firewall dont I? Can you recommend free ones?

Also - I am still unable to access Symantec web page - I've tried all links and searches and still get 'page cannot be displayed' Any ideas on this.

Finally - when I go to control panel and click on 'Administrative Tools' Category View nothing happens.

Gizmocat 18:29 30 May 06

continued to above - I have now go access into Admin Tools - is it Component Services or Services I access?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…