Problems with two anti virus programs loaded

scp99 12:16 09 Apr 08

Hi All,

I installed Pcguard from the Virgin web site (As existing software subscription coming to an end) on to an existing previously working fine acer laptop running windows XP media edition.

The instructions prior to download stated to close all programs prior to install excluding any anti – virus software / internet security as you will be prompted to remove this during installation.

I followed the installation procedure – though I was not prompted to uninstall the other software – Symantec Internet Security and Anti Virus.

Now when the laptop boots up all sorts of problems arise and it shuts itself down and runs chkdsk. I would imagine that this is probably because the machine is now running two anti virus / security software programs that are conflicting with each other. This is a cycle that I am unable to break. I think that I need to uninstall both internet security and anti virus software and restart the download/installation for the new software.

However I am unable to remove / uninstall software as laptop keeps closing down and running chkdsk as soon as I log in.

Any ideas of how to resolve this problem ?

Pine Man 13:06 09 Apr 08

You will have to start up in safemode and remove one of the AV programs.

Press F8 as soon as your computer starts to boot and then select safe mode. Once fully booted go to add/remove programs and uninstall.

wee eddie 13:25 09 Apr 08

First uninstall PCGuard in Safe Mode.

Then go to the Symantec Website and Download their Uninstaller, otherwise you'll end up with bits of Norton crap all over the place.

Uninstall Norton using the Supplies Uninstaller.

Proceed direct to Virgin's Site and Download PCGuard, install and update it.

wee eddie 13:26 09 Apr 08

read 'Supplied'

Pine Man 15:52 09 Apr 08

Excellent idea!

brundle 17:01 09 Apr 08

PCGuard is worthless, use AVG or Avast instead. click here

Get an anti-spyware app or two and a firewall from the same site.

wee eddie 17:32 09 Apr 08

I would tend to agree with you.

scp99 08:49 10 Apr 08

Hi thanks for all the advice.

Sadly when I tried to run in Safe Mode windows would not boot. Just got lots of DOS paths of window\system32\drivers files scrolling down the screen.

Does this mean basically that I have to reinstall windows.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pine Man 08:54 10 Apr 08

'Just got lots of DOS paths of window\system32\drivers files scrolling down the screen.'

That's what you do get when starting safe mode let it run for a while and it will boot up.

scp99 09:02 10 Apr 08

Thanks Pine Man.

I did let it hang for about say two minutes but nothing happened. Should I wait a little longer say five minutes?

many thanks

wee eddie 09:13 10 Apr 08

and then go and make some coffee and perhaps a piece of HBT (hot buttered toast).

Some PCs will go straight into Safe Mode, others, like yours, and my current one, go that route but it's always got there in the end. Sometimes I've had to have a couple of tries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…