Problems transferring VHS to laptop

Mark Gillen 18:58 11 Oct 13

Hello

I'm trying to copy some old VHS tapes to my laptop. The tapes are about 20 years old and whilst some of the quality has deteriorated, they play fine on TV, with only a little light white noise bars at the bottom of the screen. However when I tried transferring using Arcsoft Showbiz, Ulead Video Studios or Golden Videos via a composite picture scart adaptor - USB, the quality was appalling.

Then I tried the S-video option. I used a scart adaptor on the VCR and an S-video cable. The quality was even worse. Do I need a VCR with s-video socket - does that even exist? The only option, it would seem, would be to somehow capture the TV picture to laptop while playing the VCR through the TV, however the technicians in Maplins said this is impossible. Is that true?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to salvage these treasured memories and it seems so strange that the quality of picture can be basically fine when played through a TV but so awful when transferring direct from VCR.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 11 Oct 13

Know anyone with a VHS /DVD recorder? that's the easiest way.

Did mine mostly by Viedo player + Scart to scart cable with a DVD recorder.

Others were done with Scart to RCA cable to my PC input

The only option, it would seem, would be to somehow capture the TV picture to laptop while playing the VCR through the TV

Does the TV have any output sockets?

tried videoing the TV screen while tape is playing?

woodchip 20:16 11 Oct 13

You want one of these

click here

woodchip 20:18 11 Oct 13

For the above Read

click here

Mark Gillen 00:40 15 Oct 13

Fruitbat, thanks for your tips- how do you video the TV while the tape is playing?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 15 Oct 13

Literally just point a video camera at the TV while the tape is playing same way as some people rip new films in the cinema :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…