Problems starting Windows ME

helenantcliffe 17:50 30 May 04

Recently I had a variation of the My Doom virus on my computer, and since then I have noticed that when I press ctrl + alt + delete, the 'Systray' does not appear in the task list. Everything else seems to be running, but it does take a long time for Windows to start up. I've also recently noticed the prescence of 'Ctfmon' in the task list, although this isn't present on my other computer - any ideas what it does? All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Helen Antcliffe.

VoG II 17:57 30 May 04

ctfmon is click here

if you meant cftmon that is part of Mydoom click here - if it is this turn off System Restore click here and run Stinger click here then turn SR back on.

helenantcliffe 12:09 31 May 04

Thank you for the links. I downloaded the Stinger file and followed the advice in the links, but nothing was detected and ctfmon is still in my task list. If it is part of a Microsoft application that's fine, I was just concerned because I'm running practically the same programs on my other computer and it isn't present there.

I'm still concerned about systray not being in my task list, though. Any ideas as to what could have happened?

Thanks in advance,
Helen Antcliffe.

P.S I've just run my virus checker and it came back clear.

VoG II 12:20 31 May 04

Start, Run, type

and click OK.

Onn the startup tab, look for cftmon and untick it. Look for systray and tick it if it is unticked. OK and restart your computer.

Are the icons in the system tray showing?

helenantcliffe 12:41 31 May 04

I have unticked ctfmon, but there is no systray to tick. I'm just about to restart. Yes, the icons in my system tray are showing, which is confusing because surely they shouldn't be there if there's no systray?

Helen Antcliffe.

helenantcliffe 12:53 31 May 04

Just restarted. Ctfmon has gone from the task list, but there's still no sign of systray.

Helen Antcliffe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…