problems starting windows.

nerawan 17:37 07 Jan 09

Hi. happy new year to all .
I have a problem with a laptop I got while travelling. At the moment I'm in India.
I changed the hard drive ( from 3 gygas to 30 gygas. A second hand). It was working well for about one month. Then P>C> got a virus. I re-installed windows and then I got some other problems. A few times when I was looking a pictures the p.c. sht down . It display a blue screen with a message*A problem has been detected...........Kernel data-inpage-error-*

I reinstalled windows but just almost it finished I got the same message. Some times it says PRIMASTER HARD DISK S.M.A.R.T...Status bad. Press F1 to resume.

I tried to install again with 2 different XP (CDs) but it stooped (freeze) after a few minutes when it's loadind KERNEL DEBUGGER DLL.

Any idea what the problem is?...Thanks in advance.

howard64 17:55 07 Jan 09

could be a faulty hard drive or maybe the bios has not set itself up for the correct hard drive.

nerawan 16:21 16 Jan 09

I have tried again and I get different messages like:
- Invalid boot.ini file. Booting from C:Windows and then stops

An unexpected error (201k61106) ocurred in line 1773 in d:xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c....Press any key to continue

- The last message when it was installing was a blue screen saying "THHE BIOS in the system is not fully ACPI compliant"

Any ideas what is wrong?

MAT ALAN 16:29 16 Jan 09

possible fix...

Don't have floppy first in boot order, set cdrom first.
Disable APM in bios.Possible to enable it after driver/windows updates.
Disable Legacy USB Support in bios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5