problems starting windows

maac 22:03 18 Aug 03

I'm having trouble starting win 98 second ed. The windows 98 screen is displayed but windows never actually starts. I can start windows using the step by step confirmation method only if i answer no when asked weather to process the startup command file (AUTOEXEC.BAT). I hope this all makes sense to someone because I havent a clue what I am doing. Would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be the problem.

P.S I am forever having trouble with this computer is formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch a reasonable idea?

jazzypop 22:44 18 Aug 03

As you have pinpointed the error to a problem in the autoexec.bat file, could you post the contents of this file for us all to see - the problem may just leap off the page for one of us :)

I seem to remember that if you go to Start > Run, and type

there is a tab that displays the contents of the autoexec.bat file. Copy and paste this to the Forum.

Please remember to add an extra blank line between each line of autoexec.bat when you post it here, as it makes it a lot easier to read.

maac 12:31 19 Aug 03

Thanks for the response jazzypop,
i don't seem able to copy and paste the content of the autoexec file but to my novice eyes it looks very sick! All the boxes on the left hand side are ticked, however there are twelve ticked boxes with nothing written next to them, when the blank space is clicked with the mouse a different sized highlighted box appears in each.

The file looks like this:

REM [header]

(twelve ticked boxes)

REM [cd rom drive]

REM [miscellaneous]

REM [display]

REM [sound,midi, or video card]

REM [mouse]

c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\Viruss~1\40~1.xx\scanpm.exe c:

mode con codepage prepare = ((850)c:\windows\COMMAND\ega.cpi)

mode con codepage select=850

keyb uk,,c:\windows\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

I hope this makes sense, thanks again,

jazzypop 21:27 19 Aug 03

Where you have the line that reads

c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\Viruss~1\40~1.xx\scanpm.exe c: @IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

type REM in front of it, so that it looks like this -

REM c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\Viruss~1\40~1.xx\scanpm.exe c: @IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

This will temporarily disable this command, which basically says to load your McAfee antivirus program, and to pause the bootup process if there is a problem.

This could well be the cause of your 'hang' - if it is not, then it is easy enough to remove the REM comment at the start of the line.

maac 13:18 20 Aug 03

Thanks very much jazzypop that has sorted it! Any idea what the twelve blank lines may be?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…