//some 3rd party need geo

Problems starting Win 98 (VrtwD)

bazza2 15:01 24 Feb 03

I was contacted by a friend yesterday, to look at his problematic PC.

The story goes like this .... his daughter was using a children's CD-ROM when the system froze. The only way out was to switch the machine off.

When he switched it on again, he was presented with the boot menu, allowing him to select safe mode.

When I had a look, I selected option 1 from the boot menu (Normal Mode).

After a short while it displayed the message "Windows did not start properly last time", it then took me back to the boot menu where 'Safe Mode' was highlighted.

I had a look around in safe mode, but as I did not know what I was looking for, I decided to try a few other options.

I have tried 'command prompt', followed by 'WIN', and also 'step by step' mode.
All to no avail.

The nearest I have come to any other error messages is:

"While initializing device VrtwD: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."

I have given up for the time being, in the hope that someone out there can help.

Bazza

beeuuem 15:13 24 Feb 03

This doesn't mean a great deal to me but looks as if it may help you!
click here

woodchip 15:20 24 Feb 03

It's a Driver problem you have got, you should have chosen not to load it in step by step

woodchip 15:21 24 Feb 03

PS this driver may be in your Autoexec.bat file

jazzypop 15:23 24 Feb 03

'After a short while it displayed the message "Windows did not start properly last time", it then took me back to the boot menu where 'Safe Mode' was highlighted.'

This normally so that you can remove / update a misbehaving driver. Did you try the option to boot normally, rather than into safe mode? If so, what happened?

bazza2 16:11 24 Feb 03

The line above the one you have pasted indicates that I initially tried Normal mode, but no matter what I try, it only seems to allow me into Safe mode.

Beeuuem.

Thanks for the link, I shall print and read it.

Woodchip.

From what I can make out, and I may be wrong, VrtwD is something to do with Microsoft Clock Management. Is it safe to leave this one out??
If not, and it is corrupt, what can I do about it?

Bazza

bazza2 17:41 24 Feb 03

^

jazzypop 17:54 24 Feb 03

Thanks for the clarification.

As the PC was working fine before, I suggest 'rolling back' to when it was working.

Boot to an MS-DOS prompt and type

scanreg /restore

(Note a space before the / but not after)

This should give a list of dates - choose a date before the problem.

If that does not work, repeat the process but type

scanreg /fix

woodchip 18:16 24 Feb 03

Yes leave it out so you can get into windows then run SFC from run box

Stuartli 18:59 24 Feb 03

Further to jazzypop's suggestion regarding recovering from a crash, you might also consider increasing previous Registry Checker backups.

In the file SCANREG.INI in C:\Windows directory change the number in the line that reads MaxBackupCopies=x to what you require.

Re selecting Normal rather than Safe Mode, let the screen reach that page, use the up arrow twice to select 1; then let the sequence continue and again select 1 on the second equivalent screen.

This normally gets you into Windows mode and the chance to sort things out.

You may have been hitting Enter trying to force the sequence through but this will select Safe Mode before you have realised.

bazza2 09:31 25 Feb 03

One more thing.

Could there be a problem with the VrtwD file that was mentioned in the error message?
If so can I get by without loading it at startup ?
If I need it, should I copy the file from my Win 98 system, or would that cause a problem?

regards

Bazza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…