Problems with SoundMAX card

JetBan 00:35 29 Apr 04

Hi all...

I have a Sony VAIO RZ424 that came with onboard integrated SoundMAX card, but when playing games (Flight Sim 2004 and Colin McRae Rally in particular) I get a static-type crackling sound when doing things like changing engine power. I have Direct X 9.0(b) and the latest drivers (I think) for the soundcard. The sound seems fine when playing back music etc...

Has anyone else experienced this and how can I remedy it, or have I got a faulty sound chip?

JetBan 13:37 29 Apr 04

Anyone? Please...!

TommyRed 14:00 29 Apr 04

I had this on my old 98SE machine, crackled at cetain times in games, normally played music ok only occasionally crackled. Unfortunately I never got it sorted before I got this PC, but I did install the latest drivers to no avail. Hope you have better luck than me. TR

JetBan 22:07 29 Apr 04

Thanks TR, I've heard of integrated sound chips being subject to interference from other things inside the PC, could it be that?

I've also noticed that when I change volume of music etc I get the same problems, it's almost as if the card can't handle changes in sound!

Anyone else got any thoughts?

TommyRed 22:36 29 Apr 04

Exactly right it used to happen to me on extremely noisy parts of 'Soldier of Fortune', it occurred after a re-install of 98 by a computer shop, I should have taken it back but the lad said no way. He had withdrawl symptoms because it was in the shop for 3 day's. But we are talking whole days not just parts of a day, it was amazing he even had to talk to us, in the present form and as though we existed. LOL TR

pipedream 22:54 29 Apr 04

I've seen something similar on a Win98 PC & fixed it by adjusting acceleration. I assume you're on Win XP? Go to Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices > Audio > (Sound Playback) Advanced... > Performance, and try adjusting Hardware acceleration.

Giggle n' Bits 23:00 29 Apr 04

the Soundmax audio chips.
Worth looking at the Asus website in the support pages. I am going there in a mo and will have a look round.

How high is you volume set if you open the volume controls, I have found if there at full belt for the Audio, Wave or CD settings this can cause it.

JetBan 00:43 30 Apr 04

Hi thanks for all your help... I'll give that ASUS site a looksee.

Turning off acceleration reduces (but not eliminates) the static type noise but then the sound quality, namely speech, is pretty poor, this was particularly evident on Flight Sim 2004.

The PC's well within warranty, but I'd rather not have to send it off if it's not faulty! If it's normal I guess I'll just have to live with it though!

I'm told that onboard sound chips are never brilliant.

Thanx again and best regards...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…