Problems shutting down and booting Windows 7

DerekL 23:31 05 Mar 11

I am using Windows 7 64bit Home premium Intel Core 2 Quad 4 gb Ram, and in the last 3 or 4 weeks I have been having problems restarting the computer and booting as well.
It starts when I click on restart and when it gets to displaying shutting down it just hangs and after about 5 minutes I get fed up and press the reset button on the computer and when it shows the startup screen showing the name of the motherboard with press Del for BIOS and Esc for menu nothing happens when you press Del or Esc and it won't boot from CD, so I just leave it and after about 15 minutes it decides to boot up to a menu which I can choose to boot one of two Windows systems on seperate disks.
The odd occasion when the computer shuts down like it should it boots up OK.
Has anybody got any ideas please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:44 05 Mar 11

SFC / SCANNOW
1. Open a elevated command prompt. (Open the Start Menu. Click on All Programs and Accessories, then right click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.)

2. In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
NOTE: This may take a little bit to finish.

3. When the scan is 100% complete close the elevated command prompt.

NOTE
When SFC runs, it logs it's actions to the C:\WINDOWS\LOGS\CBS\CBS.LOG. This will show you how to see only the specific SFC entries with the [SR] tags in the CBS.log. This can be helpful to show you what files SFC could not fix automatically if you wanted to try and manually replace them.
Open a elevated command prompt.
In the elevated command prompt, type the command

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

and press Enter.
This will place a sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop with the SFC scan details from the CBS.LOG.

Close the elevated command prompt.

Open the sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop to see the SFC scan details in the CBS.LOG.

You can safely delete the sfcdetails.txt file afterwards if you like.

rdave13 23:53 05 Mar 11

Puzzled why you should have 'two' Windows systems' to boot up from? Win 7 an upgrade?

DerekL 00:25 06 Mar 11

The reason I have two Windows 7 systems is sometimes a program won't run after installing it so I try it in the other system and it usually runs

rdave13 00:36 06 Mar 11

Still not sure what you mean.
Are you dual booting two Win7 OSs? Do you have the choice on boot up to select which OS to boot from? Is your hard drive partitioned for dual boot or do you have an actual second hard drive to boot from? You can run an OS twice from a partitioned hard drive or a slave hard drive but eventually, without a hard drive manager, you will come a cropper.

DerekL 00:36 06 Mar 11

I did the sfc scannow and the results showed everything was OK

rdave13 00:46 06 Mar 11

" Fruit Bat

I did the sfc scannow and the results showed everything was OK"
Question is, if dual booting, which OS?

DerekL 00:49 06 Mar 11

I am dual booting two Windows 7 OSs from two seperate hard drives with a boot manager.

rdave13 00:51 06 Mar 11

And you ran the system file checker on....?

DerekL 11:20 06 Mar 11

To answer both of you I ran the System File Checker on both OSs and there was no problems. The way I installed two Window 7 Systems is as follows: I booted into BIOS and deselected the first disk with Windows on it and rebooted with the Windows CD and installed Windows on the second disk which now became the C: Drive and the hidden first disk is now E: Drive. I booted back into BIOS and reselected the first disk and now when I boot up I have a Boot Manager and whichever one I boot into is always the C: Drive, I hope you understood all that.

DerekL 22:13 06 Mar 11

In my last message I said "I ran the System File Checker on both OSs and there was no problems", I meant there was no problems showing in the text file. I had to reboot the computer because I had installed a program and it hung up when it was shutting down so I pressed the reset button and it wouldn't boot so I went and had my lunch, and when I came back it had booted and started up and gone into sleep mode and I just moved the mouse sharply and it came back to life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced