Problems setting up wireless router

cdb 20:55 13 Jul 07

I've just installed a Belkin N1 wireless router to connect the wifes laptop to my Virgin cable broadband connection.

The auto set up won't work. When I click continue to start the process, I'm met with a blank window that never changes. Windows task manager shows 0% for the setup task.

I seem to have managed to connect her somehow, but download speeds are about 6Kbps. Thats on a 10Meg connection.

I can't find anywhere on my PC to show the wireless network or what other wirelss items are around. Where should I be looking? Does my PC actually see this router? (network connections only shows the same items as before)

No software seems to have been installed, can I adjust her connection speed? Limit it to say 2Meg of my 10Meg?

Also can I share the printer with her over this or is it the wrong type of hardware for that?

Does my PC actually see this router?

cdb 21:48 13 Jul 07

Now the wireless light has gone out and I can't seem to get it back.

cdb 22:45 13 Jul 07

IS my PC actually wirelss now, or is it only the router that's wireless?

Got the wireless light back, I assume that means someone else is connected to my pc.

ambra4 04:51 14 Jul 07

It does not come with a paper manual.

It has an electronic PDF file on the CD find and print if you can

You do not need the setup CD to install your Belkin N1

No your PC is not wireless, if you are hard wire the router via a Ethernet cable

To go wireless you need to install a wireless card or a USB wireless adapter into the PC

Only the router is wireless which allow other wireless devices access to the local network and Internet

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable
to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

Have you check the setting following Items on PC before power on the router

Web Browser Settings

If you was using dialup before check your browser setting.

Internet Explorer 4.0 or Higher

1. Start your web browser. Select “Tools” then “Internet Options”.

2. In the “Internet Options” screen, there are three selections:

“Never dial a connection”,
“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”
“Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.

If you cannot make a selection, go to the next step.

3. Under the “Internet Options” screen, click on “Connections” and
select “LAN Settings…”.

4. Make sure there are no check marks next to any of the displayed
Options:

“Automatically detect settings”,

“Use automatic configuration script”

“Use a proxy server”.

5. Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

Network Adapter Setup on the Computer

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)

1. Click “Start”, “Settings” Network Connection

2. Double-click on the “Network Connection

3. Left-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your
network adapter

Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.

4. In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked

Tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected,

An Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

5. Click “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” Click the “Properties” button

6. Select “Obtain an IP address automatically

7. Obtain DNS server address automatically”

Do Not Change Any Other Setting

8. Click “OK”.

Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

ambra4 04:59 14 Jul 07

Router Setup

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s

Start your browser and enter the router access code look in the manual and just follow the instruction

Once the router setup is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

Reboot the Router by power it off and back on and wait 1-2 Min’s

You should see 5 green lights showing on Modem/Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in task bar-Right Click and click Status- Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any other blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Internet Options/LAN card setting and the Router Setup

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will normally reset the router to the factory setting.

It is sometimes desirable to restore the ADSL modem router to the factory default settings if you having problems accessing the Internet

Setting Up The Wireless System

You have to setup the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come setup with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, etc, you can change the SSID to what ever you want, 452john06 or ezyclip01 etc.

Write it down, as the same name must be used on the wireless device when you are set it up to access the router.

Do not setup the security system as yet, make sure that you can access the router and browse the Internet first, and then setup the security system.

If you get it wrong the wireless device will not have access to the router or the Internet

Some laptop computer with a building wireless card required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch, or via the software.

If not sure check the manual

If using a Wireless Bus Card you must install the software driver on the CD first. Just read the manual and follow the instruction

You must power of the laptop before inserting the wireless bus card same for installing a PCI wireless card

Inserting a wireless bus card or a PCI wireless card with the power on can damage the card, plus the OS will not load the driver

If installing a PCI wireless card into a desktop computer follow the instruction in the manual all manufactures do things difference

If using a USB Adapter you need to install the software driver first before plug in the USB Adapter

Check out this site before you setup the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

Good Luck

ambra4 05:15 14 Jul 07

Setting up the wireless laptop have access to the wireless system must be done via the wireless card in the laptop

You will not be able to see the wireless system on your pc, all you will see in the network connection is the local area connection for your PC

Once you have a complete system running yopur pc can access the internet, an the wireless device can also access the Internet plus both PC can see and access each other

You can than set up the printer sharing

ambra4 05:18 14 Jul 07

Sorry should read

Once you have a complete system running and your pc can access the internet, an the wireless device can also access the Internet, plus both PC can see and access each other

ambra4 06:09 14 Jul 07

Router Setup

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s

Start your browser and enter the router access code look in the manual and just follow the instruction

Once the router setup is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

Reboot the Router by power it off and back on and wait 1-2 Min’s

You should see 5 green lights showing on Modem/Router 4 for the ADSL system and 1 for the PC hard wire on the router

The 2 displays Icon should be in task bar-Right Click and click Status- Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any other blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Internet Options/LAN card setting and the Router Setup

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will normally reset the router to the factory setting.

It is sometimes desirable to restore the ADSL modem router to the factory default settings if you having problems accessing the Internet

ambra4 07:09 14 Jul 07

Note:

The Belkin N1 can give you a transmission rate of 300Mbps is the physical data rate.

Actual data throughput will be lower; so don’t feel that you will get 300Mbps if the laptop is 54Mbps

Most laptop wireless card will only transfer data at 54Mbps, or older cards at 11Mbps

If you want a higher transfer rate from the wireless device you will have to purchase the N1 Wireless Notebook Card, N1 wireless desktop card, N1 wireless USB adapter, N1 wireless express card to work with the N1 router

If you are using an external wireless card, adapter etc, you must disable the build in unit first in the laptop
Any other wireless card, adapter will only transfer data at 54Mbps

ambra4 07:24 14 Jul 07

Limit it to say 2Meg of my 10Meg?

NO the modem see the 10meg is 10Meg line and set it up automatic you can not change it. Do not expect to get 10meg all the time, distance from the exchange, amount of user, line noise, time of day etc.will affect the speed

If you want 2meg line order a 2meg line

ambra4 07:28 14 Jul 07

Sorry about double entry on the router setup

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…