problems setting up laptop

bigboab y 17:32 07 Mar 05

I have just acquired an HP omnibook 6000 laptop.I am trying to install Windows 98se using my original startup floppy disk.I have fdisked and formatted the hard drive.When I boot up to the floppy,on its way to the A: prompt, it points out there is no cd rom drive. Its one of those with swoppable floppy/cd caddy thing.If I swop the floppy for the cd drive (with the W98 cd in it) ,it says invalid disk. On a desktop I would just type "setup" and it would setup from the cd.When I type setup on this it doesnt recognize the drive. Does the swoppable drive on these things keep the same drive letter i.e "A" ?
Driving me loopy .. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jeffers22 17:37 07 Mar 05

They are not usually hot swappable. In which case you will need to do it in two stages.

1. Use FDD (A:) and format Hard Drive (C:) - Turn off.

2. Connect CDROM (probably D:) and turn on. Enter BIOS to select boot from CDROM. Save and exit. When laptop boots from CDROM it should take you straight into a menu from where you can install.

Don't forget to reset BIOS to boot from Hard DIsk once 98 is installed enough to boot from C:

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 07 Mar 05

Dd you not get a cable with the floppy allows you to plug floppy into parallel port and leave CD in caddy.

ESc during Boot allows you to change boot order

bigboab y 19:31 07 Mar 05

Good stuff guys/gals but bliddy thing is now shutting down after about 10 seconds either on mains or battery... taking it back to vendor..I'll re-open this when i get it back Cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…