Problems with Serial ATA Drive connections

23790954 12:57 26 Jul 06

I am using a system consisting of an MSI K7N2 Delta motherboard, supported by an AMD 2600+ processor, and 1 gig of DDR 3200 memory.
The motherboard has TWO serial ATA ports to which a hard drive can be connected. Up to now I have been using SATA port 2 with which my sytsem has worked brilliantly, without fault.
Due to some unneccessary reactivating of Windows XP (just because my cpu fan became faulty) I purchased a new SATA hard drive with the intention of imaging my hard drive for future use. I now find I cannot image my hard drive with the software I have used on many occasions, for the simple reason that SATA 1 port on my motherboard does not always function correctly.
If I connect my original hard drive to serial port 1 then the Windows XP logo, (after booting up) is barely visible, leaving the Windows XP logo on the monitor all the time, although barely visible. Port 1 has only functioned correctly on ONE occasion out of about 14 attempts. Due to this I cannot image my hard drive. I have changed power supply units to one of a much more powerful one but it does not help. I have removed and cleaned, by air, my AGP graphics card, but without success.
Can anyone put any light on this matter and help me resolve it. Many thanks to all who take their time in an attempt to help.

Giggle n' Bits 13:10 26 Jul 06

Boot to your XP CD
When you get to the Setup process Select R
You will get a Dos prompt
Type "chkdsk /p" With No Quotes!
Press enter, when that is done then type "fixboot" and "Y" Without the " Quotes !
Type Exite when that process is complete and type in "exit" with no quotes!
Let us know if that works or not.

23790954 14:23 26 Jul 06

Big Byte,

Many thanks for your help, but it was to no avail. I carried out your instructions to a T with the SATA hard drive connected to each Sata 1 & 2 connector in turn. The check revealed the disk to be in very good order, and after fixbooting it, it still operates first class in SATA 2 connector but will not operate correctly in SATA 1 connector. It either shows the Windows XP logo very faint on the nmonitor, and it remains there, or after booting the monitor stays completely black. Having never used SATA port 1 before, I would hardly think it was a motherboard fault. I have to be careful with the system as when my cpu fan became faulty last week, I had to reactivate Windows XP twice, and fell out seriously with microsoft as they said there might be a charge to reactivate my system again. Thats after paying £200.00 for a genuine authentic copy of Windows XP PRO. I don't know where consumers rights have gone in this country. Anyway thanks for any advice you can give me.

Giggle n' Bits 14:26 26 Jul 06

can you check your BIOS make sure hte SATA Controller is on.

DieSse 15:52 26 Jul 06

If your current drive operates fine on SATA port2 - why not just leave it there, and put your new drive on port1 ?

Maybe it's simply because you originally set XP up with your drive on port2 - incidentally why did you do that, it seems an odd way to connect it.

DieSse 15:55 26 Jul 06

Incidentally - jusy because you've never user port1, doesn't mean it can't be faulty - maybe it's always been like it.

jimv7 15:57 26 Jul 06

The new drive you bought, is it sata 1 or sata 2.

If sata 2 there is a jumper on the drive to restrict it to sata 1 if your mobo does not support sata 2.

23790954 16:08 26 Jul 06

Thanks for all who helped. Problem not resolved. The reason for using both ports was to make a clone of my Hard drive, but that will not be necessary now, because for the THIRD TIME
in the last TWO WEEKS when I turned on the computer and it booted up, it stated that Windows XP Pro has got to be reactived again.
NO Settings have been changed and they never have been on the other two occasions. I will be phoning Microsoft as this is criminal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…