problems with saving pics as!!!!

carlinglover 23:47 02 Jan 04

when i find a pic on the net that i want to save and even use as my display pic in msn/hotmail i save it and when i come to open itit says it cant open the file as windows doesnt know which programm created it etc?? is it something im doing wrong or something i need downloaded onto my pc to open them???

thanx for any help and i hope you guys all had a gr8 xmas and a happy new yr so far

carlinglover

kspatto 00:04 03 Jan 04

you need to be more specific on what system you use XP etc and what graphics programs you are using to open your files althought windows paint will open a wide variety of files common on the net
paint shop pro is a good all round graphics package if you are looking for one
a common mistake is when people save files they change the name of them and alter the file tag at the end try adding .bmp or .jpg or .tiff after the file name these tags tell your PC what type of program the picture is and allows it to select a suitable program to open it
best of luck

carlinglover 00:07 03 Jan 04

im using xp but all the rest is double dutch to me .. i right click save pic as and just click ok! no renaming or anything.. im quite niaive when it comes to pcs

ty for advice anyway

kspatto 00:23 03 Jan 04

when you right click on the pic select save picture as this should take you to your my pictures folder you should be able to name the pic anything you like and when you click on save your pc should automatically add the appropriate tag once you have done this you should be able to go to your my pics folder and view the pic using windows pic viewer or right click on the pic and use the arrow by the open button to select paint from the drop down menu to open the pic in windows paint program you should be able to try this on one of the pics on screen now
have a fiddle around im sure you will get the hang of it

carlinglover 00:25 03 Jan 04

kspatto... ty for the help happy new yr to you..
ty again

carlinglover

kspatto 00:26 03 Jan 04

forgot to add what is the tag at the end of the pic you are trying to use as some pics require specific programs to open them ie .psp requires paint shop pro etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5