Problems with saving photos in my order

Ankermi31 09:14 09 Nov 09

Windows XP

I have created a separate folder into which I have transferred various photographs in the order in which I want them to be shown using a digital projector.

The problem is when I first transfer them everything is in order.

When I close down and then go back to the folder some of the photos have relocated themselves all to the end.

At first I thought maybe photo size but its definately not this.

There are two "lots" my own (which incidentally seem to keep themselves in order) and a friend's and it appears to be some (and only some) of these which go out of syncronisation.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong, or need to do to rectify please.

Ankermi

Kevscar1 09:57 09 Nov 09

They should be in name order but remember if they are numbered then 10 will come before 1, 100 will come before 10. so to keep them in order you neeed to rensme them 001, 010 then 100. if it goes into 4 figures it needs to be 0001 etc.

keef66 16:32 11 Nov 09

It will be the file names sorted alphabetically / numerically. I had this with photos of recent holiday. Some from my camera, some from son's, some from wife's, some from mobiles etc etc. Different cameras name the files in different ways, so when all in the same folder they tend to be sorted by name. You need to rename them as Kevscar suggests

canarieslover 20:00 11 Nov 09

Within XP you can do a batch rename of files. click here If you do as suggested at the bottom of the page and batch rename each set of photos as you download to PC then you should be able to get some usuable method of getting your slideshows in order.

wee eddie 22:50 11 Nov 09

The Folder you are using to display the Pictures should contain 'Copies', not the Originals.

So that, when you rename then, it will not affect you core Filing System.

Then > Open the new Folder > Click View > Click Thumbnails > Shuffle the Thumbs around, until you have them in the order you wish to display them > Start renaming them, 001, 002, etc.

There may be quicker ways of doing it, but this will achieve your objective.

Kevscar1 07:37 12 Nov 09

Download Irfanview, this allows batch renaming if this is the way you want to go.

Ankermi31 17:45 16 Nov 09

Hi everyone.
wee eddie. Can confirm they are "copies" not the originals.

Done what you suggested but still have a few rogues.

canarieslover. You are a star. That was so simple but still getting a couple that seem to want to move to their own space. Think I might just delete them so that everything is then ok.

Will come back if further probs. will leave question open for time being.

canarieslover 18:58 16 Nov 09

Thanks for letting us know that we were almost able to completely solve the problem. It then gives others with similar problems a good starting point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac