Problems with saving images from websites

KittyM 23:13 11 Sep 03

On my computer at work, I can right click on an image and a "save as" box opens with a choice of saving as jpg(or whatever the file format is) or bmp
On the same image on my computer at home the choice of "save as" is only bmp, this is with any image on the web.
Both systems are running WinXP & IE6
I've been in & out of as many menu options as I can find but can't see the difference - can someone please tell me how I can save images as jpg, gif or whatever

Talented Monkey 00:36 12 Sep 03

I had this probelm too, but it seemed to resolve itself eventuly. for Microsoft reasons click here;en-us;260650

i also find that IE hangs for what seems an eternity waiting for the menu to come up when right click. i found using another browser like opera or netscape works perfectly and is alot quicker.

wouldnt this be better off in the HelpRoom?

Talented Monkey 00:38 12 Sep 03

heres the link again but this time without htp:// part so you can cut and paste it.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260650 Have a look at this, Darrell

Forum Editor 07:18 12 Sep 03

that you need to go to tools/Internet options and delete your temporary Internet files cache. This is a common cause of the problem you're experiencing.

Another reason may be that the web designer involved may have used a dot prior to the file extension dot in the filename. This is another common problem for people trying to take images from web sites. So, if I call a file: forum.editor.jpg your operating system will use the word 'editor' as the file extension, won't recognise it, and will default to offering you .bmp as the only available format. If I called the file: forum_editor.jpg there would be no problem.

Bear in mind that almost all web site images are protected by copyright, and you must not download them without the consent of the copyright owner.

Forum Editor 07:19 12 Sep 03

now that I've bothered to visit the link provided by Talented Monkey I see that it contains more or less the same information.

KittyM 08:50 12 Sep 03

Thanks
- deleting the temp files worked a treat
- I had tried the microsoft site but my search did not bring up that page - don't know why not!
- I'm sorry if I used the wrong forum.

Forum Editor 18:10 12 Sep 03

about using the wrong forum - you aren't the only one to do it by a long chalk, and the main thing is that you solved the problem.

For future reference:

Helproom is for all threads related to problems with hardware and software operation.

Consumerwatch is for problems with suppliers, advice about what to purchase etc.

WebDesign is for anything related to.......web design.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…