problems running spybot S&D......

end 15:28 21 Mar 04

having downloaded the programme, and opened the screans etc ( running win 98 2nd ed and have adaware on here as well working well!!), have asked the programme to "update" and presed the update link on the screan , but nothing happens or seems to happen; and YES, I AM connected to the internet!!!!( and , when I DO that the programme seems to freeze and I have to " end it" to get anything else to happen....)
next; the programe has "found" "alexa Related;whats related link(replace file, nothing done)
c;\WINDOWS\Web|RELATED.HTM
and
DSO Exploit:Data source object exploit ( registry chnge, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1004=W=3"....needless to say, I have done nothing with these as yet, and BOTH are highlighted in RED as if of high importance.
to what functions do these relate??? the computer seems to be working as it should be ( at the moment!!!), it is NOT on a " shared " system with any others.....( I AM a novice at this......!!!!)
advice and guidance please.......I DO hacve quarantine on this programme and wonder whether they would be "safe" to put in there pro temp, but what is THAT going to do to the computer......?????( and my sanity!!!!)thanks....step by step folks,,,, one very novice here!!!!!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:31 21 Mar 04

Tyr choosing update from Australia on the list sometimes that works better and rerun.

Regards.

end 15:44 21 Mar 04

sorry , but could you explain the above????how do I FIND the "update from Australia"????

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:50 21 Mar 04

open spybot clcik the online option then clcik the Unido europe tab select EON australia from list then check for updates.

Regards.

TTP 15:50 21 Mar 04

I did experience the same 'hang' on my first update check, but I stuck at it (even though im on dialup) and eventually got the updates. I believe the program checks each mirror site to see which is the best/closest for download (so thats 4 full checks) but it not only updates file signitures it checks for bug fixes , skins , etc; if u have Zonealarm and AVG these will scan the file d-load on the fly aswell, this slows it down some more.

end 21:03 21 Mar 04

dont have zone alarms or AVG but DO have Norton on here..... And Guard IE ....AND, can anyone advise on the two "red" files mentioned in my first bit on this thread???? to what DO these relate , or how do I find that out, and what happens if i DARE to put them in quarantine.... what is NOT going to work on the computer,.....?????

TommyRed 21:14 21 Mar 04

Type 'alexa related' and the other one into google click here and check the results to see if this helps. HTH TR

Zak 21:19 21 Mar 04

The Alexa one you can put in the ignore folder if you still want the option of Show Related Links in IE 6 Tools. This is what I have done. It is not really a problem IMO.

The DSO exploit needs attention and you can download a free fix from:

click here

Hope this helps.

Zak 21:25 21 Mar 04

The link I gave you gives technical info. only.

This is the link for the free software fix:

click here

end 21:27 21 Mar 04

what IS the "DSO" problem??? to what does it relate????

shizzy 21:32 21 Mar 04

Or do I recognize the style of writing in this thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…