problems running Housecall

lozzer2 19:46 08 Sep 06

i don't know if anyone else has a similar problem....
i have AVG free on my computer, but me being the mildly paranoid type, likes to double-check every so often with trend micro's housecall. although AVG has never picked up any problems with my machine, every time i have tried to run housecall over the last few weeks it will start the scan, but after a minute without any warning IE shuts down. this stops the scan. does anyone know why this is? is there a problem with housecall itself, could my computer be set wrong somehow, or is it likely that there's something nasty on my machine that AVG isn't picking up? if anyone has any idea what's going on, i'd be grateful if you could let me know!

johndrew 20:21 08 Sep 06

Yes. Similarly I tried running it a short while ago and it cut out on me (I also have AVG) but I`m not certain of the cause.

I find Trend Micro SysClean a good alternative to satisfy my fears click here for the package and click here for the IPT file.

johnnyrocker 00:00 09 Sep 06

try safe mode?

johnny.

vinnyT 14:00 09 Sep 06

I use it once a month on my system - avast and firefox works ok. Try using it with firefox instead of IE, see if that makes any diff.

Hope this helps.

ACOLYTE 14:24 09 Sep 06

What version are you trying to run?,there are two versions Active X and java have you tried both types?,you will need java VM installed to run that version.

lozzer2 17:55 09 Sep 06

i've tried both types, it happened to both. :-/ i've never had a problem before...i've used both housecall and AVG on about 3 different machines in the past, one with W98, one with XP professional & another one with XP home without any real probs. i've also always used IE, so i can't quite see how the browser can be at fault-unless it's down to one of microsoft's patches in the last few weeks.....

VoG II 18:11 09 Sep 06

Try some others

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
click here
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
click here
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced