PROBLEMS RESTORING SAGE ACCOUNTS

SAL50 09:37 13 Jun 05

I HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY COMPUTER AND HAVE HAD TO BUY A LAPTOP TO GET BY. HAVE PUT MY SAGE PROGRAMME ON TO IT BUT I CAN'T RESTORE THE INFORMATION FROM MY FLOPPY DISCS EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS ITS THERE. I HAVE MANAGED TO DO THIS PREVIOUSLY WHEN CHANGING COMPUTER BUT FOR SOME REASON UNABLE TO NOW. EVEN THE ACCOUNTANT IS UNABLE TO RETRIEVE INFO EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS THAT A RESTORE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULL. I AM DESPERATE TO GET THIS INFO OFF AND ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED ALTHOUGH I KNOW ITS A SHOT IN THE DARK THAT SOMEONE MIGHT BE CLUED UP ON THIWS.

THANKS

sicknote 09:58 13 Jun 05

Sage have a very helpful Help line !!!

SAL50 10:29 13 Jun 05

I am not a sage member so I don't think i can access the helpline. Have always managed to sort things out. Do you know otherwise.
Thanks

ventanas 10:31 13 Jun 05

Agree with sicknote, Sage tech support is excellent. You need to have a contract though.

Before you do anything I would get these files onto a hard drive and not trust them to floppy. Do you only have the one copy of the backup?

I would never dream of trusting vital data to a floppy disc without taking a number of copies, and then immediately copying one of them to another PC.

Cal Sage on 0845 111 5555 for support, but if you do not have an existing support contract they will probably want a couple of hundred pounds from you before they will help. I have always found a support contract with them to be money well spent.

wee eddie 13:52 13 Jun 05

I hope that you have earlier Back-up copies.

First, test that the Floppy drive is working correctly.

Second, try a restore from an old Back-up and then try to overwrite it.

Do you know that your, newly loaded, copy of Sage is functioning correctly?

What happened to the old PC?

Maybe a little help can recover the records from it.

Shas 15:27 13 Jun 05

I don't use Sage but I'm running along the lines of what I would look for if having problems restoring my own accounts data. All of this may sound like stating the obvious, but:

is it the same OS on the new laptop? (when I upgraded from 98 to 2K I had to get confirmation from the software people that the programme would work ok);

is it not restoring at all or is it restoring but you just can't access any data?

if so, are you looking in the correct directory? (if I restore my backup on a different machine, it sometimes tells me the backup can't be found and I have to browse for it);

if it is restoring, have you done a file search for the backup?

DJ 01:32 17 Jun 05

By the name you have used, SAL50, I assume that we are talking about Sage Line 50?

What version are you running?

I had a client with a similar problem. When you say you "put Sage on your new laptop, do you mean you copied the programme from the old machine by transferring all the files, or did you reinstall from Sage's original discs?

If it was a mere transfer and with the possibility of a different operating system, then there would be no note in the registry and Sage will not run properly.

If you completely restored the programme from the original Sage discs, this would not be the case.

When you say you cannot access the data, even though the restore is said to be successful, does Sage give a message saying the data is inaccessible? If so, what does it say?

If you ever upgraded your version of Sage, are you sure you didn't install the earlier version of Sage?

Placing your first disc in your A drive and looking at the backup file name in explorer, what is the file called?

Armed with this chain of info, it may give me a clue to your problem, SAL50.

I'll check for your reply over the next few days.

Ever hopeful.

DJ.

SAL50 20:38 17 Jun 05

Thank you so much everyone for all the advice given. The problem with my old computer was the hard drive, but still puzzled about all the back ups which seen to be blank. I have had my computer looked at and it needs a new hard drive which I am not having done as I want a more up to date computer, faster processor and bigger ram etc. However we managed to get the info off the hard drive but we were unable to gain access to the data, kept saying username in use. We tried everything you could think of to gain access and I found parts of the computer that I didn't know
existed. In the end we found a sage forum and found the answer. We deleted queuedta and bingo gained access and all my accounts were there. I have never been so relieved. I have now managed to get any other documents and pictures off the hard drive, thanks to my expert who came to my aid. It was well worth paying someone to sort things out rather than muddle on. Perhaps If I had done something when the hard drive became noisy (didn't know it was that) I might have prevented all these problems.

I have now bought an external hardrive to back up all my accounts up on to, I am determined not to get in this mess again but thankfully after a few sleepless nights all has been resolved.

wee eddie 22:09 17 Jun 05

There is one message for all of us here.

To check that your Back-up system/technique/method can be recovered from it's media onto a second, unrelated, piece of equipment.

SAL50 23:10 17 Jun 05

Hi Wee Eddie

Yes I shall be doing that as well, just moving house in 3 weeks so am getting a new desktop computer and shall also have programme on both(laptop as well) as well as external hard drive, just can't risk losing important info like accounts. Thankfully mine was a happy ending but it certainly caused a fretfull few days and sleepless nights. I am catching up on paperwork now! Thanks again.

wee eddie 05:52 18 Jun 05

I tried the PC & Laptop, mirror image idea.

I gave it up, quite quickly, as the two versions kept getting out of sync which caused filing problems. I still kept a security copy on my Laptop, but it was for reference only and all Accounts work was done on the one PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…