problems restoring image in True Image

staples printer cartridge 21:01 03 Sep 06

Everytime I try to restore an incremental image in True Image 8 I get the following error message: Failed to read from sector 268,435,392 of the hard disk drive 0.

It then says it could not read from the image archive. I have rolled back 6 incrememnts so far and it says the same each time. I am currently verifying the image archive but wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Cheers
Ian

Terry Brown 21:18 03 Sep 06

I presume you have run chkdsk, and found no errors, so logically it would seem that the software (true image 8) is corrupted or it is not comatable with XP. Can you open the image with any other software ?,It may be that the image itself is corrupted.
Terry

woodchip 21:21 03 Sep 06

You have bad sector on your hard disc, Go to My Computer Double click on it and run Disc check on the Drive where Image is stored

terryf 23:25 03 Sep 06

or go to start>run and type chkdsk /f in the box

terryf 23:29 03 Sep 06

True Image (mine is 9) will verify an image, it is called Check Archive but it sounds as if you may have a problem, but are you restoring from the same drive as you are restoring to? Better practice is to keep image on another drive either internal or external usb

staples printer cartridge 23:44 03 Sep 06

terryf
No I have an external drive which the image is on. I create an image and then use incremental images; I have just managed to restore the original image, so it looks like I just keep trying the separate increments and see how far I can go back.

terryf 00:02 04 Sep 06

Incrementals can take up a lot of room and IMO are not needed if you keep data on separate drive. I find it best if I add several progs, to make a new complete image in a different folder then after a while delete the first. I would still run chkdsk /f to make sure but I ended up getting a new drive when I started getting this sort of problem. MFR disk check progs were not successful and so I bit the bullet. I keep data on separate D drive and only os and progs on C

staples printer cartridge 01:16 04 Sep 06

terryf
Thanks for that, I will probably do that in the future. My disc is only a few months old so I will run chkdsk as suggested and if it is faulty I will try for a new one. Is the /f part of the command or is that the drive assignment?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos