Problems removing McAffe antivirus software

JenJ_12 17:16 26 Jan 07

Hi - I've got a problem removing my McAffe antivirus software from my laptop.
I discovered I had a problem when I was installing Norton antivirus (the version that comes with BT broadband) and the system wouldn't let me install Norton because it could already detected McAffee on the computer. I uninstalled McAffee and still got the same message. Now I am left without any antivirus software at all. The BT helpdesk wasn't much use as they just said 'contact your computer vendor' and denied that it had anything to do with their system.
I found a helpfile on McAffee.com, which lists a bunch of files that need to be deleted from the system registry. I've deleted the ones I could find, but I'm still having no luck.
Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Woolwell 17:29 26 Jan 07

Try the uninstaller tool
click here

JenJ_12 16:58 27 Jan 07

Thanks for the tip. I tried that but it didn't seem to work. It may be because I had an older version of mcafee on my computer. The BT software tells me that it is virusscan 4.5.1 that needs uninstalling. Have you got any other ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance!

cocteau48 17:10 27 Jan 07

When I tried to remove my Mcafee 2006 suite and replace it with Kapersky it also refused to install because it found traces of the Mcafee still on the system. The Mcafee,and I think you will find that Norton is the same,lodges itself far and wide within your system and I am still finding traces of it.
However not being able to install Kapersky I tried AVG and it did not seem to bother itself about the bits of Mcafee left in the system and installed no problem.
At last that would give you AV cover while you surf for answers.
At the end of the day I was so happy with the AVG that I did not pursue the Kapersky option.

cocteau48 17:12 27 Jan 07

The AVG is free
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac