Problems reinstalling XP

Hogwarts 08:19 31 Jan 05

I have recently had many problems with crashes and pages freezing followed by Fatal System Errors at Windows logon. In desparation I have reformatted the hard drive and am trying to re-install Windows XP Pro. The problem is that each time I try, setup fails to copy a number of files from the CD and the operation fails. It is not the same files each time and I have tried to install from 2 different CD drives on to 2 different hard drives. I've also tried a friend's copy of XP but the problem persists.

Can anybody help, please?

georgemac © 08:25 31 Jan 05

It could possibly be memory errors causing this - click here and download and install memtest on a boot floppy or cd-rom and run the tests

alternatively you can try copying the xp setup files from the cd rom to the hard drive and install from there - you will need to boot from a floppy or cd with the dos os loaded - download a file and make a floppy from click here

to copy xp cd files to hard drive

xcopy d:\i386\*.* c:\i386\*.*/s/e

then c:\i386\winnt.exe to install

I had to do this once on a mates pc - it just would not load from the cd - I even changed cd drives and it made no difference.

Good luck, I am going away to work for a couple of weeks and will try and look in to see how you get on.

PA28 09:06 31 Jan 05

This is really strange - I had exactly the same problem recently when reinstalling on my son's pc. I reckoned it was the CD reader playing up and solved it eventually by taking out the CD drive and replacing it with a known good drive from another machine. It then loaded without problem and believing my diagnosis vindicated I binned the offending CD drive.

But I note that you've changed the drive already, so - in theory - you've eliminated this cause. Is there something about the XP disks that leads them to be easily misread? Have I binned a perfectly good drive? Anone else had similar problems as this?

georgemac © 09:41 31 Jan 05

I had the problem on my mates pc as above

I changed the cd drive with a brand new drive and the problem still exisited

after I had copied the files and installed from the hard drive, I refitted the original cd drive which is still working OK today - it was wierd.

PA28 15:04 31 Jan 05

I wonder if the CD drivers that Windows installation loads as a temporary measure are less than compatible with all drives. This could explain the problem? Any comments anyone?

Kegger 15:44 31 Jan 05

I have had this a few times, both with windows XP and During my day time job with win nt (various flavours / builds), i can use a disk the day before and the build will be succesful go to a different location the next day and even on same spec systems the build fails!! what i have done is copy my cd's and reburnt them at slow speeds (4X)and i don't get as many failures now. i passed this to fellow engineers and they have reported that their build failure rate has dramtically reduced, could be bad disks or bad readers, but it is a workaroubd

Hogwarts 12:34 01 Feb 05

Not had much time but attempts unsuccessful so far.

The floppy from the link (georgemac) showed<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt and an MS-DOS Startup disk wouldn't see the CD ROM drive so I couldn't copy.

Is the command xcopy or just copy?

I'll have another go tonite

PA28 16:28 01 Feb 05

I know this sounds like the long way around, but on my son's PC having suffered a number of stalled installations as you described, I swapped out the CD drive AND (in blind desperation if nothing else) reformatted the hard drive again to NTFS. That way I ensured a clean start - and it worked for me. Might be worth trying the reformatting bit again, even though a full format takes an age (don't play with quickies!).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 01 Feb 05
  Hogwarts 13:20 03 Feb 05

Problem sorted.

It turned out to be a faulty memory module. XP now appears to load normally. Hope it solves the problems that made me reformat.

Many thanks for the useful suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…