Problems re-installing Windows 98

Dumble452 08:08 25 May 04

I decided to give my old computer to my daughter. Foolishly I decided that the best thing to do was a complete reformat and reinstallation of Windows 98se. All at first went well except that I got a windows protection message saying that C:Windows\System|vmm32.vxd was missing/could not load. After various attempts I decided to start again and booted from the Windows CD-ROM. I used fdisk to remove all logical drives and partitions and let Windows do everything from scratch. It formatted the drives and loaded windows. After loading the driver database it then restarted and told me that I had used a diskette to start my computer with a version of MSDOS incompatible with this version of windows. Since I have not used a diskette I am somewhat baffled. Where do I go from here?

Jakey boy 08:34 25 May 04

Could help. Get the one you need from click here

Dumble452 14:07 25 May 04

I tried first with a boot disk I made from Windows 98, but I will try another one.

Graham ® 14:24 25 May 04

Windows 98 OEM is the one, it has all the necessary drivers. Note that your CD-ROM will move up a letter, temporarily.

Dumble452 11:37 27 May 04

Thanks. All resolved. Still don't know what the actual problem was though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…