problems printing edges of web pages

Topcat7 18:44 29 Dec 03

Hi, hope someone can help.

I've recently changed printers (to an HP laserjet 3200), and now find that when I print web pages that I am losing one or two characters at each edge, but I can't find what setting to change to get back to my old printer's performance. Opsys is Win98SE and IE6.

It's most noticeable when looking at the "page x of y" in the top right hand corner, which usually loses the whole "y" value. But also lose the LH margin letters on plain text file prints.

I've spent a couple of days mucking about with the settings, and searching the MS site, but can't find an answer. Hope someone here understands me!

LeadingMNMs 18:51 29 Dec 03

I would have thought that the new printer cannot print as close to the edge of the paper as the old one could, therefore you are losing parts down the edge. This would mean that all your existing margin settings would need to be increased. You could just try increasing the margins, printing and seeing if it still occurs. Also see if you can find a more updated driver.

Rayuk 19:09 29 Dec 03

I would have thought decreasing the margins to 1 would have been a better idea.

Rayuk 19:10 29 Dec 03

Or you could try printing in landscape mode.

LeadingMNMs 19:18 29 Dec 03

Increase the margins. If the problem is the printer cannot print near to the edges then reducing the margins, thus making the text nearer to the edge would mean even less is printable.

keenan 19:43 29 Dec 03

As' Rayuk' says decrease margins or try landscape mode as follows:
1. In Internet Explorer, press File / Page Setup.

2. Enter a 0 in the Left and Right margin box.

3. Press OK.

4. Press the Print icon to see if the page fits.

If the above doesn't reslove the problem:

1. In Internet Explorer, press File / Page Setup.

2. Press Landscape and OK.

3. Press the Print icon.

short-circuit 02:15 30 Dec 03

The margins are none-printing white space. If you decrease the none-printing white space, then the printer will try to put text right up to the edge of the paper and many printers can't do that.
I would think most printers would let you get away with margins all round of 1.5cm but not much less.

Djohn 02:52 30 Dec 03

Extract from Canon Knowledge base. why the right-hand edge sometimes gets cut off when printing. j.

-----------------------------------------------

Creating online pages that also work on paper is still possible.

After a user selects “print” from the browser, the page is formatted before it is sent to the printer. The width of the layout is reduced to about 650 pixels for 8.5" x 11" paper, or 630 pixels for A4, assuming normal margins.

If all the elements of a page can't wrap around to fit within this 630-650 pixel area, content on the right will simply be cropped off.

This is often caused by absolute positioning of page elements, such as fixed table widths, or large images. A web page with a fixed size of 800x600 pixels may look great online, but will lose its right edge completely when printed.

Topcat7 09:29 30 Dec 03

Thanks for trying, guys, but the only tip that works is the print landscape one, and that gives me an extra 33% of pages that have to be filed differently!

Increasing the margins managed to get the "y" value, but cut off some more text within the document (printing this response, for ecxample, lost all the text in the "pc advisor poll" column)

When I tried decreasing the margins it didn't make any difference either, and then I noticed that the margin settings weren't being saved (maybe 6.01 is a minimum setting?).

The most annoying thing is that I have only upgraded the printer (from a HP laserjet 3150, I think) that worked perfectly on web pages but was incompatible with our mainframe accounting package (not sure why, just know it wouldn't print-screen and this one does).

I'm now off to checking the HP support pages for driver updates etc.

Topcat7 10:36 30 Dec 03

Well I've now got something that is better, but it still doesn't print a whole web page.

In the "effects" tag of the printer properties box, there was a box unchecked marked "scale to fit". I've checked that, and downloaded the latest driver (which still seems to be 4 months older than the printer I got last week!), and I can now seem to print the pagination and, for this page, the full message text and half of the right hand sidebar text.

That's certainly better than I had before with this printer, but I'm not sure now whwther it was as good as I had with the old one.

Seems very odd that it didn't work first time though, and no mention of it in the HP FAQs, either, as far as I could see.

Pesala 11:45 30 Dec 03

This question comes up at least once a month. Some printer drivers can scale the page to fit, printing landscape will also work, but is not an attractive solution. Opera browser can scale the printout to fit the page - 75% usually works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…