Problems with printer: HP deskjet 950c

DIYgirl 11:50 25 Apr 05

I've got a Hewlett Packard deskjet 950c printer which has caused me trouble right from the start. It is a couple of years old now and the printer works fine, but the driver is causing problems still. I've been wrestling with these problems for as long as I've had it.

I have to print off long Word documents quite often--250,300 pages. No matter how I tell it to print (clicking the printer icon or selecting print from the menu) it won't print all the pages. It prints a run of them (perhaps the first 70), misses out a few, then prints another few pages (one, seventeen, sixty--no pattern that I can see), misses out a few more and so on.

On the advice of HP I downloaded the driver for the 550c to correct this. Great. I could print all the pages--but only in Courier, which is no good to me. So I swapped back to the original driver and muddled through.

Last night, again on the advice of HP, I downloaded an updated driver for my printer. And now I can't print anything. If I use the new driver it thinks it's printing: if I open the printer progress box (it's called something else but I can't remember what) by clicking on the printing icon on the taskbar, under the "progress" column I get a message which tells me it is printing 1,2,3, of 1 pages, where the first number increases steadily for a while no matter how many pages I ask it to print; then it ends, as if printing is ended.

If I try to use the old drivers I get an errror message telling me that this is not possible, and that I must restart windows and try again. This does nothing.

Any ideas? I now need to print out a presentation for this afternoon and am getting somewhat wound up as I can't get it out of the computer!

jack 12:05 25 Apr 05

At a guess I would suggest that this is not so much
a printer software problem, but a computer memory/spooler one.
That is the ability to hold all the requested data
to print'
Try this print in blocks of pages.
That is print page 1-50.
Then set the printer to print 51-100, and so on.

DIYgirl 12:34 25 Apr 05

Thanks for that suggestion, Jack, but right now it won't print anything at all!

I've uninstalled the new driver AND the old one, and reinstalled the old driver, and it still won't print. Not even a single page. I'm running out of time here. Arrrggghhhhhh!

Graham ® 12:48 25 Apr 05

Too late for your presentation, but I have one of these click here, also check ASDA for the same printer. Excellent!

Stuartli 13:03 25 Apr 05

Try scrolling down to Hpzeng03 near the end of this page:

click here and also to the multiple list starting Hpztsb01 further down.

Also:

click here

click here

An obvious one:

click here

Are you using USB with the printer? Try disabling some other USB devices temporarily.

Stuartli 13:09 25 Apr 05

My best mate has used an HP 890C in his business for several years.

The only two occasions he has had any problems with it has been entirely due to an original HP black cartridge being faulty.

Replacing the cartridge on each occasion cured the fault.

That was after I had spent considerable time doing all the routine checks and installing the latest drivers after the first occasion...:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…