Problems with Polices in Windows 2000

k3caz 01:02 11 May 04

i am running a small network windows 2000 workstations with NT4 Servers. I am having problems every time i install some software which is required to run at start and place an icon in the start bar it is failing, if i manually select the program once the user has logged on it works and if i place the program in the registry it works but as soon as the user logs off and then logs back on the line is removed from the registry, the registry place is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
it is to do with local polices on the workstations but i cant find where help

hugh-265156 03:22 11 May 04

im not very familiar wit windows 2k but what happens if you place a shortcut to the application in:

C:\documents and settings\"username"\start menu\programs\startup

replace "username" with the user account name you wish it to run under.

place in the all users\start menu\programs\startup folder to run for all users

works fine in xp

recap 08:49 11 May 04

On a local W2k machine you should be able to install the software by right clicking the icon for the software and selecting `Run As`. This should allow you to either run it as Administrator or as the user. Once this has been done the software should be held within the users profile and be there the next time they log on.

k3caz 19:53 11 May 04

As the software locks access to floppy drives and Removable media, it is required to run from run key in the registry, if the icon is placed in the default all user profile, it will work but this is only a temporary fix, and if some one bypass the startup procedure, so software will not install and lock down the machine as we are looking at increasing the network to over 100. i will work on a nt4 workstation which picks up its policy from the NT4 server, but not on Win2k workstations, it is a policy problem, but i not sure where it is on the local machines

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced