Problems playing games

Yorkshire tyke 11:22 06 Oct 08

I have just given my adult son and extremely expensive and technically updated computer running Windows XP professional, four gigs of memory, satellite hard disks, and a very fast processor.

He has loaded some games onto this computer, and every time he gets into these, his computer crashes out and the hard disk has to be reformatted and XP professional reinstalled. I have been told that because games are DOS-based, and this is a high-tech computer, and XP does not have much DOS in its programming that this is the reason for it, but I'm not entirely sure if I believe that. Could someone please help, and may be confirm what is correct.
Regards,
Yorkshire tyke

need more info really, which games, they should all run on xp with a couple of microsoft exceptions (halo 2 etc) but they should just refuse to install.
can you post the blue screen message or location. no gaming software should force a reinstall of the operating system something sounds very wrong with the configuration, but could do with more info really.
was it prebuilt? was o/s installed, drivers? which games and exact error message or software location.
the dos theory i have not heard before.

Yorkshire tyke 12:22 06 Oct 08

I really cannot tell you more about the games he runs as he lives 200 miles from me but he says once the computer has "Fallen over" its impossible to get it to reboot even in the "Safe" mode, it seems it has to be a total reinstall.

He has put a better videocard in to help but still the same result. Sorry to not be better informed. The DOS theory came from a friend who lives locally to me and has had some years of computer experience but I honestly don`t know. I am told by my son that he plays for about 5 minutes and then the whole thing just goes "Blue screen " and thats it. Running without games this computer has been "Well behaved" for 6 months just running commercial and MS programmes. He bought some more modern games to see if that would work but to no avail

Technotiger 13:52 06 Oct 08

Hi, that DOS theory is certainly a new one on me - sounds rubbish! It seems as if your son is trying to run games which are quite simply not compatible with XP. A few older games will run (though not very well) in Compatibility mode - but I have never heard of any DOS game so doing.

Also he should reduce his 4Gb RAM, XP does not see it all anyway, only up to a maximum of 3.2Gb. He would probably get better results with just 2Gb.

As adman 2 says - more info might help!

I am Spartacus 13:55 06 Oct 08

Is the CPU overclocked? You sometimes get serious file corruption if the overclock is too high. However reducing the overclock or going back to stock settings often fixes it although you may need a few attempts at rebooting. Is the CPU fan spinning.

Could also be faulty RAM. Use the MS Diagnostics tool to check click here

Graphics card overheating? Is there sufficient airflow in the case? Is the graphics card fan working?

What are the specifications of the PC?

What were the Blue Screen error messages?

Yorkshire tyke 14:14 06 Oct 08

All of these games worked quite happily on older computers with XP on which I suspect were 16 bit. The moment they went on to a 32-bit he got this problem. I think maybe this is why to a certain extent I did subscribe to the DOS theory, because many schools do run computers with games on on Windows 98 which has more DOS content I understand.

I will get him to bring the memory down to 2 GB, and to check the CP fan cooling speed.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this question, I promise to come back better equipped with information as to the exact nature of the games if this advice doesn't work.
Regards,
Yorkshire tyke

if it runs fine without games it's probably either heat Too much) or power (too little) just a thought about the dos idea several quad core games are accessing the cpu directly now, conan is or is about to i believe. this is giving some people, usually with poorly timed ram or poorly overclocked systems in general blue screens, simply because windows can't understand what's happening, maybe that i suppose.

need to know how old the games are too.

Yorkshire tyke 14:23 06 Oct 08

Thanks adman2 will do all this as advised

Yorkshire tyke 15:39 06 Oct 08

I am advised the game is

Total War Mediaeval 2

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
English version of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
Celeron 1.8GHz Pentium 4 (1500MHz) or equivalent AMD processor.
512MB RAM
8x Speed DVD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
11.0 Gigs of uncompressed free hard disk space
100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
100% Windows 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
DirectX 9.0c
128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 1 support and the latest drivers.
Must be 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible.
Monitor must be able to display 1024x768 resolution or above.
Multiplayer:
Internet (TCP / IP) play supported, internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers, LAN play requires network card.
Important Note:
Some cards may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilised by Medieval II: Total War. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0c compatibility.

looks like we need the error code.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5