Problems with playing DVDs

westcott 23:21 26 Mar 08

My DVD drive fails to recognise discs in what appears to be a random manner. I have had occasions when I rent a series of discs from a local hire shop and five out of the six are Ok but the final episode won't play. Although there is a disc in the drive the PC does not recognise that there is any thing in it and asks me to place one in. I have only had this PC a short while and would be grateful if some one out there could assist

lofty29 08:34 27 Mar 08

Probably a dirty or damaged disc

David4637 12:51 27 Mar 08

Look at the data side of the disc, are there any scratch or dirty marks on it. Try cleaning it with a damp tissue, dry off and see if it works

uesquebeathus 14:38 27 Mar 08

this is quit a common problem and I have collected this short tips to help in the fix, they work as i have had to use them a few times

Autoplay Repair Wizard click here:- click here

or

Autoplay disable/enable
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
3. To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero). To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1.
4. Restart your computer.

Missing DVD CD DRIVES in xp an vista , this can often happen if you try and change the recording software, have a look at

click here

or this

this software patch from here can solve the problem sometimes, it was aimed at windows XP, but the problem is still there in Vista unfortunately
go to this web page

click here

and Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

next method first back up the entire registry.

this is another way you have to open regedit and change this key
click start, then enter regedit

then look for this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I am sorry but if the key is not there you will have to create it, then you will see the drive again,

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

Click on the start menu.

If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.

Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.

In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.

Restart Windows.

next method Based on CDGONE.REG

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

1. Click on the start menu.
2. If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.
3. Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
4. In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
5. Restart Windows.
6. It (XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip) worked for me in about two minutes, so please let me know if this works.

westcott 18:04 31 Mar 08

Thank you for all your help. This turned out to be a hardware problem which is to be fixed under warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…