Problems playing .avi files

Bramblerose 22:03 20 Jan 03
  Bramblerose 22:03 20 Jan 03

I have downloaded several avi files which I have been unable to play. Someone gave me a program to decompress them to mpeg but when I try, it says it cant decompress them. I get sound but no pictures - I have tried playing them on Winamp and also on Media player - any suggestions?

mackaycc 22:49 20 Jan 03

Some avi files require a codec to be installed to allow proper viewing of the files. If you connect to the Internet and allow Media Player rights to connect in your firewall then it should automatically download the codec.

powerless 14:50 21 Jan 03
  special sophie 15:47 21 Jan 03

get yourself the nimo codecs pack and BS player search in google

« Ravin » 17:05 21 Jan 03

sounds like you need the divx codec alright..check out the link powerless has given

Bramblerose 17:14 21 Jan 03

Have tried to let media player get the codec automatically but it comes up with an error. I have now downloaded the DivX thingy and will see if that works. Thanks

« Ravin » 17:27 21 Jan 03

yes even after media player downloads the codec you only get sound. but after you download divx player it also includes codec and your videos will play then even in media player.

Bilx 00:29 22 Jan 03

I had prob too playing certain avi's. Tried Nimo Pak but I found there was too many conflicts. I then tried ace mega codec pak, seems to work much better for me. If you need it... click here
Try the playerxp rather than the Proxp. Proxp has far too much that you would never use. Hope this helps.

Bramblerose 14:14 22 Jan 03

Thanks... the divx thingy seems to work even on Media Player. Another quickie question though, will avi files play on a DVD player like mpegs do? The DVD player will play CD-R/RW and MP3 files and mpeg files too? Sorry if I sound dense, its all new to me!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…