Problems with PC losing its WLAN connection

suburban train 17:32 24 Aug 06

Hello

I have a packard bell PC running XP Pro SP2 and a laptop running on Windows 2000. Broadband is with Tiscali

Sometime ago I bought a 3COM wireless router , PC card for the latop and the USB adapater for the PC.

The signal strength for the laptop is always near 100% anywhere in the house although on rare occasions it does lose its link, but this rare as I use the laptop for overnight downloads.

However with the PC it always loses it connection I cant be connected for more than 30mins before it loses it link the signal strength is always 40% to 60% .

The laptop can be in the spare room with 90 % to 100% but the PC is 40%

When the PC loses it connection and then reconnects a message comes up saying looking for MAC connection.

1) How can I improve the signal strength of the PC

2) How do I stop the PC from losing its connection.

Thanks for your help.

Strawballs 18:47 24 Aug 06

Does the USB adapter have a seperate arial that you can move.

suburban train 18:58 24 Aug 06

hi, thanks for your reply,

Ive checked the USB adapter and there is no aerial.

Strawballs 19:39 24 Aug 06

Is the PC near any other electrical appliences as this can cause interference, a friend has a USB adapter but it has a seperate arial on a lead which he can move around to get the best reception.

STREETWORK 21:21 24 Aug 06

Have you checked on the tiscali website help section?

Have you updated the software?

It could be a firewall problem, what are you running?

Is there a compatibilty probelm with Bt and the 3com product? Call BT and Ask.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…