Problems with Page numbering in MS Word

Nosmas 00:03 08 Feb 03

On my PC I am running W98 and Office 97 Professional. I have a 5-page Word document and am trying to print Page 1 of 5 (and so on) in the Footer of each page. If I use the Insert AutoText button on the Footer toolbar and select Page X of Y, it outputs Page 1 of 1, then 2 of 1 …….....…5 of 1

Alternatively typing the word Page then clicking the 'Insert Page Number' button, typing 'of' then clicking the 'Insert Number of Pages' button appears to produce the correct result, but if the document is saved then re-opened, I am back to Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 1 etc.

I seem to recall reading some time ago that there is a "bug" in the page numbering feature of Word. Can anyone say if this is a "known issue" and if so is there any fix or workaround? Or any other suggestions please?

jazzypop 00:10 08 Feb 03
  Nosmas 10:05 08 Feb 03

Thanks for the link. Have viewed and printed off the further links to MS Knowledge Base and articles by MVPS, so one of these should solve my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…