Problems with OS recognition (continued)

Fleetblue 10:54 23 Feb 10

I posted a couple of days ago about my OS not being recognised and the advice I received was to update my Graphic card drivers. Unfortunately I now seem to have a further problem.

I have:
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Intel(R)Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU [email protected] GHz
2.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce8800 GT

Right step by step here is what I have done.

1 Uninstalled my current drivers and rebooted.
2 Went to NVIDIA site and ascertained that I should download 196.21. Did this saving download.
3 I then noticed that Windows Update had automatically installed graphics drivers.
4 I ran and installed the 196.21 drivers and rebooted but then had all sorts of problems. Crashes due to nvldmmkms.sys failing and then recovering, and then finally BSOD.
5 Thinking this might be a conflict between the Update installation and 196.21 I turned off automatic updates, booted into Safe Mode and uninstalled the drivers. I used Driver Sweeper to clean out all residuals and rebooted.
6 Lo and behold Windows Update automatically installed new drivers despite automatic updates being turned off.
7 Carrying on regardless I reinstalled 196.21 with same results as in (4).

I must be doing something wrong. Help please.

gengiscant 11:06 23 Feb 10

Why not install your downloaded drivers whilst your in safe mode and before you reboot?

Rahere 11:45 23 Feb 10

You may not have removed the drivers completely or there is a driver clash. You need to uninstall the driver, then the graphics card card from device manager too.

Now run Driver sweeper click here which will help you remove the driver completely.

When you reboot after uninstalling etc make sure you're not connected to the internet in case Windows tries to install driver.

Hope this helps

Fleetblue 09:08 24 Feb 10

Thanks for the help guys. All working now.

gengiscant 10:49 24 Feb 10

Would be helpful for other forum users with a similar problem if you could have said how you solved your original query.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…