Problems with opening some e-mail attachments

johnpalmer 08:46 21 Aug 09

I have had my computer for four years (Dell 9150), and since it crashed two months ago, needing a full re-install of the operating system (Windows XP), I regularly get a strange message when trying to open some e-mail attachments (from friends).

The message which comes up is:-

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel"

Can anybody help with how to do this.

Cheers

birdface 08:54 21 Aug 09

Not Incredimail that you are using is it.

ened 08:56 21 Aug 09

Ther might be some attachments you took for granted because of a particular programme you had installed.

You need to look at the type of files they are and google this. You will probably find a programme you have failed to re-instal.

For example .pps files need Microsoft Office, Powerpoint.

ened 09:00 21 Aug 09

If you feel you do have a programme which will open the file, save it to a folder then right-click and select 'Open with'.

If the programme is not listed select Browse and find it under c:\ Program Files. Once you find it double click on the .exe file which will be in there.

birdface 09:04 21 Aug 09

I only mentioned Incredimail as that is what I use.And for about the last fortnight I could not open any attachments in Incredimail they were getting transferred to Windows mail to open.
I got help on here and was told to go to Tools.Options.Advanced and make sure EML file was ticked.I could then open Attachments again with Incredimail.
But every day at least 10 times I have Winpatrol warning me of a program wanting to change It was windows Live mail until I removed it.and now it is outlook express trying to remove the EML file from Incredimail.
I actually removed outlook Express as well but keep getting the warnings.
So maybe check your e-mail provider and see if you can find an EML file on there somewhere and just enable it.

birdface 09:06 21 Aug 09

I should have mentioned that.[Tools.Options.Advanced and make sure EML file was ticked]was in Incredimail and not I/Explorer.

VoG II 09:37 21 Aug 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…