Problems opening attachments since HDD format!!

Damo1977 10:40 28 Apr 10

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help me with this one, I had a problem with some phishing type virus on my laptop and in the end the computer shop had to format my hard drive and basically wipe my machine.

Luckily I had a back up on external hard drive but since this has happened I can no longer open my work documents on e-mail without security messages popping up. These messages say things such as "the file you are downloading cannot be opened by the deault programme. It is either corrupted or it has an incorrect file type. As a security precaution it is recommended that you cancel the download." and it then only gives me the option to save and not open!

Once saved I can open them fine.

This is happening on documents such as pdf files and microsoft Excel and I have all of these full programmes on my laptop.

If anyone can advise me on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards.

Damian

howard64 12:27 28 Apr 10

look at the security settings go to tools - internet options - security. Click on set to default or similar. Sometimes you have to select a low security setting before default will work.

Sea Urchin 12:52 28 Apr 10

Try making sure that Internet Explorer is your default browser - go to Tools - Internet Options - Programs tab - and under Default Web Browser make the necessary adjustments - click Apply and OK.

Damo1977 13:22 28 Apr 10

howard64

Tried this but it is still doing it.

Sea Urchin

Cheched and Internet Explorer is the default browser.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Any other suggestions?

Sea Urchin 13:28 28 Apr 10

You don't mention which email program you are using?

Sea Urchin 13:30 28 Apr 10

Something to try

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now