Problems now worse ..please help.

Derek-321146 20:42 27 Dec 03

I am runing Windows ME operating system.

Ever since a friend messed about with my computor (took files out moved some around) to try to help it run smoother, it has never run right..PROBS>>>

When I switch the computor on I get an unusual start up sequence..Black screen, white words, headed Micresoft Windows Millenium Startup Menu.
I an given 1-6 options and a timer is running 30seconds. If I let the time run out, it carries on as normal. The desktop opens as if all is well BUT ...

I have Norton Systems Doctor that is very ill as it does very little. It just says things like Norton Intergrator could not initialize the currant class ect other things ...

The screen freezes for 25 -30 seconds every few minutes sometimes but it can be ok for 30 mins...

When I click on Launch Outlook Express, a dialog box tells me it cannot be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded...

I have no sound what so ever from anything....

The internet runs fine BUT ..

I have no MSN Messenger or Hotmail...

I have tried to run msnconfig from the run command
but a dialog box pops up stating ...msnconfig cannot be found ... an I writing this in correctly

Also System Restore will not restore anything, I have tried a number of dates...

Should I put in the Recovery Disk or is this a last resort or am I there already ....

I will check back every 20 mins or so...Thanks

VoG II 20:44 27 Dec 03

Well, for one thing, the command you are looking for is

Bazz2000 20:45 27 Dec 03

Its msconfig mate. I would have a look in there and see if that helps but I would use the recovery disc

woodchip 20:56 27 Dec 03

MSCONFIG is not part of WinME.
You need to sort these one at a time, on importance.

First Remove Norton Utilities, and reload with a custom install do not load "crash gard" or any program that runs at start up Change Scandisk to DiscDoctor.

For freezing try a new graphics card Driver. PS also have a look in Device Manager for yellow marks, you can find this by right click on my computer choose properties.

That will do to be going on with

woodchip 20:59 27 Dec 03

Sorry Not MSCONFIG I am thinking on SFC. If you look in MSCONFIG you will more than likely find that the settings have been changed to show the startup you are getting, you should change that to normal startup

VoG II 20:59 27 Dec 03

Sorry woodchip but msconfig IS included in Win ME.

It is SFC that is not present.

msconfig is not included in W 2K.

VoG II 21:00 27 Dec 03

Oh for a delete/edit button. Again!

woodchip 21:07 27 Dec 03

Not fast enough. Sorry

VoG II 21:11 27 Dec 03

No woodchip, my fault for posting too quickly!

Derek-321146 21:13 27 Dec 03

Ok ...

I can now open msconfig what am i looking for...

VoG II 21:18 27 Dec 03

What is listed on the Startup tab?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…