Problems with new DVD drive

Rich84 21:07 28 Oct 04

I've just installed a new DVD (A dual layer 16x DVD+/-R/RW OEM: Sony DW-D22A) which plays DVDs back and reads and writes CDs as it should. My problem is that I can't get it to write DVDs. IN fact the drive changes to a mere CD drive when I put the DVD media in. I've messed around and I've come up with these questions:
My region for the drive is currently unselected. Should I select UK or will that cause any problems?
Do I need a particular rewritable DVD media? (I'm using Memorex DVD+RW 4.7GB (single layer))
Does XP support DVD writing? (I,ve tried an old version of Nero v.5 which fails to recognise the drive as DVD capable)
Any pointers would be gratefully received.
I'm running XP pro

buscrew 21:29 28 Oct 04

Sounds like you've bought an OEM with no software. XP does not have a built in DVD writer, you will need third party software that recognizes your DVD writer. Your region will be selected when you insert a DVD film, you will then have 5 more times to insert a film brfore it becomes fixed to a specific region, unless of course you google the problem ;-).

Rich84 21:31 28 Oct 04

Thanks, Buscrew. Can you recommend any software for the job?

JonnyTub 21:34 28 Oct 04

try the free trial of nero 6 and if you like it,buy it...

Rich84 21:37 28 Oct 04

Thanks for your help. I'll give the latest Nero a go.

JonnyTub 21:37 28 Oct 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…