//some 3rd party need geo

Problems with networking

Quilljar 12:25 03 Mar 05

I expect this has been asked before!
But I have had endless trouble connecting my XP desktop to my XP laptop. It will not work properly.
I have a two way link cable and after weeks of trying and using the Network wizard, I still get the message 'Limited or no connectivity'
Uaing Repair bever works because I am told that It cannot renew my IP address.
Please can anyone direct me to a step by step way to fix this?
I am tired and frustrated as I thought I was a competent user!

recap 12:38 03 Mar 05

When you say "I have a two way link cable" is it a 'crossover cable'?

Also when setting up your network the XP Firewall should be disabled.

spargo 12:50 03 Mar 05

Have a look here
click here

Quilljar 13:26 03 Mar 05

Recap,
Yes I have a crossover cable,I have tried with firewalls both on and off. I wonder whether I should be typing in some value for an IP address or whatever? Am I exopecting everything to be too automatic? If so what value/s should I use?

Quilljar 13:45 03 Mar 05

I have now looked at the site you kindkly suggested but found it too difficult to understand!

I have just been through all the network wizards once again, but I still come up with this limited connection message ( both firewalls turned off.)

Yoda Knight 13:57 03 Mar 05

try giving them static ip then - usualy values of around 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 - and try it

Quilljar 14:09 03 Mar 05

Well believe it or not I have just managed (I do not know how) to get my Broadband internet connection working across to the laptop! So how do I find my main PC files on the laptop? I have designated my main PC HD as 'to share' but I cannot find any trace of it on my laptop, still, we are obviously getting somewhere. I think part of the trouble may have been that my firewalls kept insisting on switching themselves back on again by default.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…