Problems with Nero 7... Help!

ferret lover 18:10 10 Aug 06

I have a Philips DVD+RW drive and it's always worked with Roxio, Clone and DVD Shrink. I put Nero 7 on and the DVD+RW stopped working. It's not recognising any discs and telling me that the drive is empty. This is with blank DVDs and films.

Has Nero 7 fried my DVD+RW?

I've tried uninstalling Nero and wiped it from the registry, uninstalled and reinstalled the drive... still not working.

Is my only option a new DVD+RW?

Diversion 01:35 11 Aug 06

I can't see Nero 7 frying your DVD+RW. It maybe that your using DVD Shrink, I don't know but Nero 7 automatically shrinks any DVD movie that is bigger than 4.7GB. I have burnt 3 full movies onto one 4.7GB DVD and it just burns the movies in long play or extented play. You can burn eight hours of movies onto one DVD, and if you have a multi layer burner like I have you can extend that to sixteen hours on a dual layer DVD.

skidzy 08:40 11 Aug 06

Ferret,is your dvd drive recognised in My Computer ?

If not,are you getting any error codes ?

You mentioned reinstalling the drive,does any disc play at all ?

Im assuming your OS is xp

Nero/Roxio etc are reknown for causing problems after uninstallation this may help.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives:

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

This will only apply if your drive is not recognised in MY Computer

jimv7 09:37 11 Aug 06

As skidzy has suggested, roxio and nero can cause problems, also remembering roxio's direct cd is used by windows to burn cd's, which also does not get on with nero's incd software.

Try running this from microsoft, it might help.

click here

New Use_4567 10:08 11 Aug 06

had the same problem made nero 7 made my dvd/cd rw dissapear when i installed it. The problem that caused it for me was that i didnt have service pack 2 installed on win xp. What version of windows are you using?

ferret lover 12:15 11 Aug 06

Apologies for the delay in replying. been at work.

the drive itself is recognised in My Computer. It just won't read any discs.

skidzy 13:04 11 Aug 06

If you follow my earlier posting (clearing upper and lower filters) and you find you still cannot read any discs,i would uninstall roxio as well.Use a registry cleaner such as regscrubxp and reboot. click here Then reinstall nero or roxio not both !..you may be having a conflict between the two.

After all this,and still no joy....i suspect your laser has died.

Good luck

vinnyT 13:44 11 Aug 06

What happens if you restore the pc to before you installed nero, if the drive works, then it's a sw conflict, if it doesn't then it's likely a hardware fault.

ferret lover 20:47 12 Aug 06

I've tried everything suggested now and still no joy. I've completely removed nero and roxio through the registry, not a trace remains. I've once again uninstalled and reinstalled the drive and the machine tells me it's working properly however, when I put a disc in, cd or dvd, it tells me the drive is empty. The laser is fried isn't it? New dvd writer for me?

Thanks to all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…