Problems with my USB external hard drive

whisked 12:43 21 May 06

Just recently my external hard drive which i use with my laptop has been playing up and now this morning it won't power up properly. I can hear it whirring but then it clicks and stops and the drive isn't now being picked up on the laptop.

I have quite a number of important files and confidential info on it which i must get back. Am i screwed here?

bushy_384 12:47 21 May 06

I had exactly the same problem with my drive and unfortunately i could not fix the problem. I had to replace the external drive.

I would suggest contacting the hardware manufacturer to see if there is anything they could do to help.

whisked 13:05 21 May 06

I guess that would mean sending it back to them. Not keen on letting them access confidential files and data which i take it they would have to do to fix it.

Oh well i suppose that teaches me to backup my files in future. :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:17 21 May 06

They will test it to determine the fault (electronics , platters, heads, motor) then probably send you a replacement.
They will not be intereseted in the slightest as to what is stored on it.

Is the a hard drive in a caddy or fully encased external?

Hard disk checks before you condemn it
click here

200 ways to repair a HDD
click here

Diemmess 14:06 21 May 06

If the HD is in a powered case try another USB connecting lead.
They can sometimes go faulty without a good reason!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…