problems with my p.c.

1towatch 22:13 29 Nov 03

i have an old p.c. with 6.4 gb hard drive & 128 mb ram pIII 500 ghz compaq desktop - i want to install windows 98 onto my computer - however there is no c.d rom drive - so i bought an external c.d rom from ebay with a paralell port conection - when i put my boot disc into the drive the first part of win 98 loads - how do i get the p.c. to understand that the c.d. rom is connected to the printer port ? is it by the bios system ? any help much appriciated - thanks

Jester2K II 22:19 29 Nov 03

I don't think that the PC will see the CD Drive until the drivers are loaded. This is normally done once Windows loads.

Did the CD Drive come with any DOS divers? you may have to load those first to get DOS to see the drive.

Jester2K II 00:11 30 Nov 03

thanks for your speedy response !! no, the c.d rom came with no drivers - so i
guess i've a bit of searching to do !! could i take the hard drive out of the
old p.c. (a xmas present for my dughter) and place it my newer pc & then load
the software & then place the hard drive back into my older p.c. ???

I wouldn't do that. It'll install windows with the drivers for all the hardware in the other PC and then when you put it back into the old PC it might not work.

VoG II 00:12 30 Nov 03

In fact it won't work.

DieSse 00:20 30 Nov 03

You'll probably need a aprallel port driver to be installed when you boot from your Win98 startup diskette.

Put ... CD parallel port driver ... into a Google search, and it'll give you several you could try.

DieSse 00:21 30 Nov 03

PS - this'll be a DOS driver.

1towatch 21:56 30 Nov 03

thanks for your help - have tried loading drivers and then putting them onto a disc to load through my a drive - but the pc then loads the driver and reverts back to the a: - i then try and run autoexec from the c drive - to no avail - so anymore advice would be helpful !! thanxs

A_World_Maker 22:21 30 Nov 03

Have you tried booting from the win98 floppy... formatting the hard disc (copying the system files).. then make a directory called say (win98temp) then running setup from there?

DieSse 22:24 30 Nov 03

Why are you trying to run autoexec from your C drive - what would be on it at this stage?

You need to put build the DOS driver onto the system boot floppy, so that it boots from the floppy, and loads the CD-ROM driver. Then you can try to move to the CD-ROM and start the setup program on it.

A_World_Maker 18:16 02 Dec 03

If you follow the advice I offered in my email, after you have created the temp directory, copy all the files from the CD-ROM into the temp directory using windows, before running the programme from a clean re-boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5