Problems with MS Word 2003

PinMonkey007 17:15 05 Nov 05

Help!!
MS Word (2003) crashes every time I start to type a document, sometimes the PC just reboots itself mid document.
I have all the updates from Office update and Windows update. The XP troubleshooter (error reports) says it's a driver/hardware problem but I haven't installed any new hardware and all the other devices are properly installed with the most up to date drivers and no conflicts.

I've tried switching to Word XP and the problem still occurs.

VoG II 17:18 05 Nov 05

This could be due to a corrupt template - try searching for NORMAL.DOT (you will need to enable searching for hidden files and folders) and rename it to NORMAL.OLD.

Ot try Office Safe Mode click here

Batch 17:34 05 Nov 05

I've had problems with Word 2000 crashing PCs when normal.dot gets corrupted.

normal.dot is a file that Word (and some other Office programs) use to store things like macros that you have created and various other settings.

To find where normal.dot is (at least in Word 2000), go to Tools -> Options and click the File Locations tab. Look at the entry for User Templates (click on Modify if you can't see the full path). If you can't get Word to stay up long enough to do this, just do a search for normal.dot (mine's in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates)

Exit from Word and try renaming the normal.dot and then restarting Word (Word will create a new normal.dot with default settings) and see if this solves the problem. If this cures it and you have some settings that have been lost, you'll either need to recreate them, or copy back an old version of normal.dot (if you have a back-up).

PinMonkey007 17:41 05 Nov 05

Thanks guys but the problem seems to be elsewhere. I tried renaming the normal file and it still crashes.
Even when I open a document i've been working on I can type for about a minute or so and then Word crashes.
This has been a long running thing over the past six months or so - even persists after re-format and re-installation of office.

Batch 18:45 05 Nov 05

Do you have a printer driver installed (either to a local printer or one across the network)? 'Cos I've had problems when no printer installed. Progs like Word really need one (and get their knickers in a twist when there isn't one)as the available page space is partly dependent upon the printable area that a particular printer supports (this is most apparent when one switches printers and the points at which pages break changes.

PinMonkey007 19:27 05 Nov 05

Yeah, Epson Colour 600 is installed and working fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…