Problems with Modem

The Potter 00:57 19 Dec 09

Brought the new recon pc and a new internal modem off Ebay - no software though.

I installed the modem, downloaded the drivers and went through the wizard process and then the pc froze. I forcibly restarted but then Windows wouldn't load.

I've tried both pci slots, installing drivers before modem, after modem and not at all but no luck.

I then installed the 2 usb modems I have which was sucessful but both came up with the message that they could not connect to my server (although if I attached them to my normal PC, they worked fine).

I'm lost now! I'm not worried particularly about the usb modems but the internal one. I'm guessing there is either a probnlem with the interal modem ort the PCI slots but just don't know what to do next. :(

Running Win XP pro, 512mb, pent 4, 2.6Ghz, 40Gb HD.

Help please.

TP

ened 07:42 19 Dec 09

Taking the internal modem on it's own I would have been inclined to think the modem was faulty rather than the slots.

However if you are unable to connect using even an external modem it suggests corrupt software.

Try sfc /scannow

The Potter 21:29 22 Dec 09

Now have new modem installed but the pc recognises it as 'speedstream 3060 miniport ATM/ADSL adaptor' not as a modem like my USB ones.

When I try to set it up via the network wizard the connection says it is via a 'wan miniport PPPOE'. I have removed its connections to anything other than internet protocol (TCP/IP)as I believe the PPPOE is something to do with LANs.

Any ideas what I do next? I'm hopping that it's just a case of my ignorance in setting up an internal modem as opposed to a usb one .......

TP

Shuffty 21:47 22 Dec 09

A NEW modem should have had a driver disc with it judging by your second post you seem to have a lan adapter card which should also have a driver disc if it was new. get on to whoever you purchased it from and demand the installation disc

The Potter 21:50 22 Dec 09

Brought it off ebay - no installation disk. Yes, pc does have lan card built in but I've disabled it.

The Potter 15:01 23 Dec 09

Does anyone else have any ideas please as I'm struggling to find anything online.

TP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:13 23 Dec 09

What are you trying to connect to?

The Potter 20:14 23 Dec 09

The internet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 23 Dec 09

To a router? by cable or wireless

direct to a phone line from the internal card?

The Potter 20:55 23 Dec 09

direct to the phone from the internal card

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:11 23 Dec 09

click here

Sounds as if you need to set it up as a Dial up modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced