problems with microsoft installer

Ant two 21:16 15 Jun 09

My system runs on XP (sp3) which I have been keeping updated. I first noticed a problem with some microsoft updates not being installed and now I've a problem with excel in microsoft office 2007 enterprise edition.
When I try to open the program or a spreadsheet it opens a windows installer dialogue box followed by a configuring box. The green progress bar progresses all the way across but then I get an error message
"Error 2932: An internal error has occurred.
(D:\Windows\installer\{911200000-0030-0000-000000FFICE}misc.exe 5)
Contact microsoft product support services (PSS) for assistance
For information how to contact PSS see PSS 10R.CHM"
I then click on OK and the green progress bar counts back to nothing and is followed by a "fatal error during installation" message. With the microsoft updates, I now have 9 which just come up failed to install.

I have tried running the repair option from within Add/Remove programs which resulted in the same messages but in bigger dialogue boxes. Other elements of office are running ok.
I see SP1 is available but have not yet installed it. Not sure if this could solve it or complicate it!
Other things I've tried is updating windows installer to v4.5 plus I've run a registry repair utility which claimed a 100% success rate for my problem.
Any ideas please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…