Problems with Microsoft Anti Spyware

gerryp96 21:19 07 Dec 05

Hi I have installed the Microsoft Anti Spyware, appears to work well but I can't get the schedule scan times to work. I set spyware to run scan say everyday at 21.00 and click 'Update Schedule' and it sets the time to 9.00 am, whatever pm time I enter when I click the 'update Schedule' it converts everything to the correspnding am time.
Any clues about what's happening.?

VoG II 21:23 07 Dec 05

Go to Start, Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Customize button.

Set the time to display am/pm (i.e not 24 hour clock). OK your way out.

Set the schedule in AntiSpyware.

Go back to Control Panel and reset your preference for time format.

Stuartli 21:26 07 Dec 05

You are configuring from AntiSpyware's Tools>Spyware Scan>Manage Spyware Scan Schedule and then clicking the Update Schedule button and not from Options>Auto Updates?

Mytob 22:52 07 Dec 05

forget M$ anti spyware at the moment. iv tryed it and it the biggest joke iv ever come across (not as helarios as the xbox though). The thing dosent even have cookie scanning at the moment for god sake! Take my advice and chuck it in the bin and get adaware (free version for home use only) spybot and spyware blaster. All are free and do a darn site better job than the M$ version. I use all 3 of them and havent got any spyware in 3 months!

PaulB2005 22:57 07 Dec 05

Funny. I've found MS AS finds things Adaware & SpyBot miss.

Also "Cookie Scanning" - overhyped paranoia....

Stuartli 23:25 07 Dec 05

I'm with PaulB2005 - I was sceptical about MS AntiSpyware before I eventually tried it and was won over.

It does find some problems that others miss - probably because it gets there first - and it also watches over other aspects of using your system.

Mytob 23:28 07 Dec 05

id like to point out that it missed 74 items once that adawre picked up on my pc. I ran a comparison of the two and adaware won by a mile. As i also mentioned spyware blaster rocks because it prevent the stuff getting on you pc in the first place! and it works with firefox to! Beat that M$!

Stuartli 23:38 07 Dec 05

As for "cookie scanning", this is covered more than adequately in Internet Explorer and Firefox if you configure them properly.

Stuartli 23:44 07 Dec 05

>I use all 3 of them and havent got any spyware in 3 months!>>

So how come you had 74 items on your system that Ad-Aware picked up?

Presumably you had no protection prior to that point?

Also, if SpywareBlaster prevents "stuff getting on your system in the first place", why do so many actually find that in fact they can do so even with regular updating?

I've used Ad-Aware, Search and Destroy and SpywareBlaster for many years and I still find that MS AntiSpyware is a very valuable addition to my system.

PaulB2005 23:46 07 Dec 05

I guess Mytob does what i do from time to time and infects a spare PC for testing / practise....

Mytob 00:42 08 Dec 05

the 74 was befor spyware blaster was installed. as for M$ antispyware i just find it as another unesisay program which just sits they using my precious memory which aint much use on a gaming pc! In the end this is just my personal opinion and in the end now im pleased i dont need them realy because iv discoverd linux! so ha to all u poor ppl still paying the M$ tax!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…