Problems loading Windows XP Home

Ridleyrider 12:41 27 Jul 04

I think I have picked up a virus despite having Avast. I turned on the PC after a shutdown and it wouldn't get past the Windows logo to the logon screen (it was just a blank black screen). I also couldnt get into safe mode.

I tried to reload Windows (XP Home OEM) by booting from the CD and wiping my hard drive.

Windows Set Up loads the files and then examines the disk configuration. It gives a list of partitioned & unpartitioned space on the PC as follows;

78160 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi

(setup cannot access this disk)

So, I am unable to set Windows up as it doesn't seem to recognise my hard disk (80gb). Is this something to do with the bios?

The PC was originally set up by a friend of a friend so I don't have much of a clue when it comes to this type of PC problem wheras I am ok with Software etc...

Can anyone help please or will I need to call someone in?

jonnytub 12:43 27 Jul 04

can you run scandisk and chkdsk.exe from the command prompt? otherwise you may have a boot virus, although don't panic as these are quite rare.

Ridleyrider 13:06 27 Jul 04

Not sure how to do that. Where would the command prompt be? Would this be at the bios (i.e pressing delete when the first screen pops up)?

jonnytub 13:09 27 Jul 04

use the cd as you did before to boot to the command prompt, maybe another forum member can explain how to do this as i have only ever used a floppy startup disk from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…