Problems loading Free AVG

blackjohn 11:52 21 May 04

I have tried loading AVG,and get the following error messages. Cannot find COMMDLG.DLL (I have checked and it does exist on my m/c) "Can't run 16 bit windows Program" plus cannot find c:\docume~1\xpuser~1\locals\temp\wzs2a.tmp\setup.exe.
I have downloaded the AVWINSFX.EXE file onto a USB mass storage device @ the public library which uses 2000.

My m/c is using XP professional.

The only suggestion that I could find from the AVG site is that if there is any other exe files before the AVG one that this could cause problems loading. I therefore transferred it onto a CD as the only exe file, but still had the same problem

any help would be appreciated

I inadvertantly put this query on the web design forum

Djohn 12:33 21 May 04

AVG [Free edition] should download and work fine on XP. Are you downloading and saving to your drive before installing?

Try a fresh download and when the options box comes up on-screen choose "Save to drive" then from the drop-down menu choose a location such as desktop or any folder you wish. AN e-mail will be sent to you at the same time with the serial number. Open this e-mail and copy the number ready to paste into the application window when asked for it.

After the download disconnect from the internet, click on the folder or Icon that will be in the location you have save to, this will open and then click on the "Setup" Icon.

Follow the instructions, paste in the serial number when requested to do so and the install will finish leaving an Icon on your desktop which you can delete if you wish along with the original download application.

There will be an AVG Icon in your notification area lower right of taskbar from which you can access the program by right clicking.

All the time this Icon is showing your system is being protected by AVG. Go into the settings of AVG and place a tick in the box "Allow IE5 Plug-in" this will check your incoming/outgoing mail even though you may be using IE6. j.

stlucia 12:35 21 May 04

Are you trying to install it direct from your USB storage device? I copied mine onto my HDD and ran it from there okay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac