Problems with the in-laws

cooldog 12:05 24 May 03

Father in law has windows me running but it runs real slow, boot-up takes at least five minutes. Applications are slow to run first time then fast after its learnt where to go. Takes an age sometimes just to refresh a page..

Any suggestions?

MartinT-B 12:08 24 May 03

PC specs would help

Also thread COULD be better named!

rawprawn 12:21 24 May 03

Have a look at what is in the start up (go to run/ type msconfig & click the start tab) see what is ticked & untick anything not needed at startup.

leo49 12:30 24 May 03

Much depends on how PC-literate he is.If he's the average clueless punter then he's probably got loads of garbage floating around on his machine and a thorough clearout of accumulated junk, a registry cleanup and a scandisc and defrag will probably improve matters considerably.

BlueMeanie 12:37 24 May 03

Hi.
Could also be a virus doing its naughty business. The one on a PC that I am repairing at the momment is making (nearly 2000) copies of files and s l o w i n g down the system. One clue is that the hard disk is "working" most of the time

spuds 14:06 24 May 03

Would help in you stated o/s and computer spec. Perhaps a Maintenance/Scandisk/Defrag are needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…